What I was told at the fireplace store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick, yeah I can. I meant to say that those who haven't been following this from the beginning probably don't want to read four pages of stuff to figure out what the last comments are about. Especially since along the way we've wandered off into horses and trucks.

Tonight I'm looking online at all the choices for a wood stove for the basement shop. I'll probably be by tomorrow with questions for you folks.

Take care.

Yeah, man...you too. I saw you were active on the gas forum. See ya! Rick

Dave, sounds like the decision is for a gas insert. I moved this to the gas forum for further discussion. If you want to start up a new thread with inquiries about the basement wood stove, no problem.

RedRanger said:
most important of all--when that is done--like the rest of the crazies here, I go constantly to my wood piles and just look at them with admiration. :)

What he said! I caught myself tonight looking down at a pile of oak that I've been working on...

My 2-cents worth:

Although there are differences in cost, to me the biggest differentiator among gas/pellets/wood is TIME. Gas requires virtually no time, pellets more (buying, hauling, cleaning), and wood the most. I've used all three. My favorite (ignoring time) is wood. I won't use pellets in my home again (in my shop is okay) due to messy cleaning.

DanCorcoran said:
My 2-cents worth:

Although there are differences in cost, to me the biggest differentiator among gas/pellets/wood is TIME. Gas requires virtually no time, pellets more (buying, hauling, cleaning), and wood the most. I've used all three. My favorite (ignoring time) is wood. I won't use pellets in my home again (in my shop is okay) due to messy cleaning.

Dan, I have to somewhat disagree. How much time does it take you to earn the money to pay the gas man? Rhetorically speaking, since that's none of my business.
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I worked for almost 35 yrs., retired, then started burning wood. If you have no time left at the end of your work day, then you just pay the gas man from your salary/wages and move along. Been there, bought the t-shirt, etc......
Burning wood saves me at least 200-300/month, for the 7 months we burn. When working, I could make that extra money in pretty short order, but retired, not so much. They ALL require time/money............which one do you have most?
For me, it turned into a lifestyle change. LOTS of work, but I don't do it all in a weekend, and now that I'm ahead of the game, life has gotten more retiring-like. :cheese:
Cool avatar,...your house?

wow someone dug up a blast from the past... I love it when people do that on web forums ;)

spirilis said:
wow someone dug up a blast from the past... I love it when people do that on web forums ;)

That's been happening a lot lately . . . maybe we should have a contest to see who can dig up the oldest thread on this forum . . . and still be able to post a relevant comment to that thread. ;) :)

RedRanger said:
Dave if you like paying yourself for exercise then go with wood. Don`t be fooled though, wood heat will spoil you rotten. Once you start enjoying that constant heat you won`t ever be happy with anything else. The other "problem" with wood heat is that you will soon get used to 75-80 degree temps and won`t want to settle for anything less in the winter. Kinda sucks, huh?

Seriously, I am in my sixties and will never enjoy any other kind of heat. But then again, like most of the other (nut cases) on this forum, I also enjoy the work involved with splitting , stacking, and most important of all--when that is done--like the rest of the crazies here, I go constantly to my wood piles and just look at them with admiration. :)
So if you want to be independent, and save tonnes of money, then by all means, welcome to the loonie wood bin. :-S

ditto!!!!!

Nevermind.... after I posted I see this post if super old. I never read it to the end before I posted...

dave11 said:
I decided after that I'll pursue a wood burning stove for my basement workshop. My goal this winter is to not use the central furnace at all.

Dave11, your confusing me a bit. You don't want to use the central furnace, yet you are willing to install a nat. gas insert? Maybe we don't see the whole picture here?

If your gas furnace is an older less efficient model, I would think that a new efficient one would be better money spent than the gas insert. Then work toward updating both fireplaces with wood burning inserts.

Wood pellet market is unreliable, you need to be able to purchase and store a whole season of pellets to be cost effective (at least in this area).

If you have the wood to cut, or enjoy wood heat and the work that goes with it, then wood heat is wonderful, and you help out whoever you are buying wood from. But you have to enjoy it, or you will be using that gas heat, and if you are going to do that, then you might as well be doing it with a good efficient furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.