What insert is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Island-Doc

Apr 2, 2007
I recently bought a house that has a wood burning insert in one of the fireplaces and I'm trying to figure out exactly what make/model it is so I can (hopefully) find more information about it.

I've attached a photo of it, if anyone knows what it is and/or can give me some info about it I'd be grateful

Thanks

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 719
I think it looks like the earlier version of the Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large. I have the newer version, but I thought I remembered an older version having that style of dentil molding on the upper portion of the insert. Anyone with ideas or thoughts??

Island Doc, I have a VC Winter Warm and your stove has exactly the same style. However mine has a single door and does not have the square tooth pattern on the top. I would look at Vermont Castings first to see if you could find a match.

That's the VC insert which preceeded the winterwarm system.

Model could be either #0044 or #0046, I'm not sure of variations between model numbers though. You'll probably need Craig for that.

Corie has it right--- (dang, Corie is getting too smart - perhaps in 25 years he can take this site over...after he makes stoves and retires)

It is the Fireplace Insert (yes, that was the name of it) by Vermont Castings.

It was a decent unit, although not much of a heater. There was a coal kit for it - that actually worked well!

If anyone has the manual for it, I'd be glad to scan it and post it online. I think I have an "all product" spec sheet which includes basics for this unit....on the wiki or scheduled to be put on....let me check....
OK, I uploaded it - see bottom of page at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Vermont_Castings_Older_Stove_Models/

I've found that burning the HFPL logs in it works reasonably well.

Adjusting the combustion air dampers doesn't seem to change much, though.

I'm going to try to open up the fan compartments and clean them out, it's a bit noisy because of all the dust and dirt gumming up the fans

Status
Not open for further replies.