What is All Over My Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
We had a full day of heavy wind and sideways rain the other day and my oak stack has turned green! I feel like it's probably normal mold or something. The area gets a lot of sun and wind so I suspect it will dry out ok but wanted to check in with the experts here. This is my first season storing massive quantities of wood on site.

This stack is mostly red/white oak with a little maple mixed in. It was c/s/s in April from local yards/standing dead. Not planning to use it until 2022 at the earliest. Likely 2023.

20201202_113244_01.jpg
20201202_113308.jpg

That's the dreaded oak mildewitis....best let me get that wood and dispose of it for ya.:)

Dispose of it in your wood stove, perhaps? ;)

just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I am missing to remedy it. I guess it's just a wait it out situation lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzerbear
Good Lord that is Massachusetts Green Algae! Box that stuff up and ship it to me via UPS, I will destroy it here at my house.

I use a lot of oak, and I haven't seen that green tint before. Not once. The dark grey ends are of course normal.

I've seen that green or green/blue inside standing dead oak before, but never on an end that's been split for months... I know there's a fungus that I get in Aspen sometimes that is flourescent. It's really cool.

I've also seen graying ends over time, and blackish ones from overly juicy logs (basswood).
There is also lichen/very green mossy encrusted pcs from those brought in as "north siders" or blowdowns that spent time in the shade. All that is on the bark though, and can get very thick and alive looking. Can't say I've ever seen green like what you have, on the end, but time will tell, first time for everything.

It is common for the outer wood to get a little funky. But I have never seen such a spectacular green color.
Don't worry it will dry OK and the green stuff will burn up in your stove.

This is a perfect example of green oak disease.