What is it and how do I frame it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Therigwelder

Jan 10, 2018
Mississippi
I don't have an existing fireplace and I want to install the one in the picture.I cannot seem to find much info on installing also any ideas what kind of fireplace this is there is no tags or identification marks.thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 199
Looks like a old Buck. That insert can not be installed in anything but a full masonry fireplace. If you have no fireplace then it makes no sense to try and install it. Sell it and consider installing a modern freestanding wood stove instead.

By the looks of the outlet this is a "slammer" right?
Slammer is the type of install not the stove. But yes these old bucks origonally were mesnt to be installed that way with no connection to the flue. But they can have a liner fitted to them.

Slammer is the type of install not the stove. But yes these old bucks origonally were mesnt to be installed that way with no connection to the flue. But they can have a liner fitted to them.
Okay layman terms please , what is a slammer install? Also it has a blower motor on the back so why would I need a full masonry fireplace to put it in?I have fire brick and a ton of regular bricks I could build whatever is needed if I could find enough info on what and how it needs to be built.can I pour a 4" slab on my wooden floor and build a brick enclosure off the slab.There is just not enough information on construction on the Internet.

I want this in my house.being a fitter welder all my life fabricating a transition from that rectangular hole to a piece of stove pipe is a walk in the park and I can solid weld it to the buck itself it's all plate steel no cast.The damper valve is mounted inside the fireplace at that rectangular hole.

Explain to me what a slapper install is to me please.The next thing is there is a blower mounted to the back if this has to go inside an existing enclosed fireplace how do you access for service ?pull it out.

If I must build a fireplace to enclose this buck I can,I have pallets of bricks and fire brick.However I cannot find enough information on the Internet how to construct one.Do I pour a four inch slab on my wooden floor and build off it with brick?information is always the key to success.There is no such word as can't in my vocabulary lol.Its going to be a corner install however it has to be done.I want to get started asap

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay layman terms please , what is a slammer install? Also it has a blower motor on the back so why would I need a full masonry fireplace to put it in?I have fire brick and a ton of regular bricks I could build whatever is needed if I could find enough info on what and how it needs to be built.can I pour a 4" slab on my wooden floor and build a brick enclosure off the slab.There is just not enough information on construction on the Internet.
Ok a slammer install is an insert just slid into a firebox with no connection to the flue. In order to use that insert you would need to build a code compliant firebox. That means a footer and foundation under it. Cut the floor out and pour a slab. Then build 8" thick solid masonry walls surrounding it. You will have to either build all the way up with masonry or transition to class a chimney above the smoke chamber area. You will need a boot for the top of your stove and a liner to connect that to the class a pr to run up and out the top.

The problem is these stoves really are not that great and that is allot of time and money to spend on an old inneficent beast like that. As far as the fan goes yes you need to pull it to service it. And honestly i have yet to figure out what that fan blade on the back of the stove is meant to do.

I will post a link to the fireplace comstruction codes when i get back at a computer this afternoon. I find it a pain to do on my phone. That gives you a pretty clear idea what is required

I want this in my house.being a fitter welder all my life fabricating a transition from that rectangular hole to a piece of stove pipe is a walk in the park and I can solid weld it to the buck itself it's all plate steel no cast.The damper valve is mounted inside the fireplace at that rectangular hole.

Explain to me what a slapper install is to me please.The next thing is there is a blower mounted to the back if this has to go inside an existing enclosed fireplace how do you access for service ?pull it out.

If I must build a fireplace to enclose this buck I can,I have pallets of bricks and fire brick.However I cannot find enough information on the Internet how to construct one.Do I pour a four inch slab on my wooden floor and build off it with brick?information is always the key to success.There is no such word as can't in my vocabulary lol.Its going to be a corner install however it has to be done.I want to get started asap
You are a stubborn one, I'll give you that.

It's a fools errand to do what you are going to do, when you can buy a brand new freestanding stove for as little as they cost, and as simple as it would be for someone like yourself to install. The end result would be many times better as a heater.

Looks like bholler is going to give you the info that you want, but like he said, it's gonna involve cutting that floor and pouring a slab, and that's just for starters.

I get the sense that you are the type who appreciates straight talk, and you did say that information is the key to success. So, recognize good information when you get it, and forget about this terrible idea, go get a few more welding jobs to pay for a new freestanding stove, and put it in. The fact that you have bricks laying around is irrelevant.

The only way this isn't a terrible idea is if that old buck is something you are emotionally attached to you, a family heirloom or something similar. Then, it's only a bad idea.

Post a few pictures of it here when you are done...

Reactions: bholler
My house is elevated.there is a 2’ crawlspace under my house.I understand the concept of removing the floor.for houses thats built on the ground .in a raised home that would present quite a problem.ive not given up on this idea yet

My house is elevated.there is a 2’ crawlspace under my house.I understand the concept of removing the floor.for houses thats built on the ground .in a raised home that would present quite a problem.ive not given up on this idea yet
You need to remove the floor to pour footers and build the foundation. I will go find a link to those codes in a couple mins.