What is safe to remove from masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fourthbean

Oct 17, 2021
N. Texas
Friends! I’m back for some more sage wisdom.

I have removed the shelf, I think that’s what I removed :). But turns out above there, as shown in the picture, I only have 6” between front and back as a choke point. The liner is more like 10 or 12” once I get past it.

I have a 6” liner all ready to go with insulation on it so it’s more like 7-7.5” and I suspect it would be a bear to pull up from the bottom and probably tear it up.

So, I can go in from the top and not have insulation the last few feet. I’m ok with no insulation for the last bit, I’m in Texas so insulation is probably overkill anyhow.

Or, if there is more brick that it would be safe to remove I could still feed from the bottom.

Thoughts?

It’s a two story house, 25’ chimney based on my “drop a line down” measurement. So I’d rather not lug this liner to the roof. But if that’s what I gotta do it’s what I gotta do.

Thanks!

DE806A5E-BBF2-481E-8D01-D25A75BE15C6.jpeg EB101DFC-5616-4C4C-B1F7-858D4D10A8E9.jpeg DAEAC5D0-F4E6-4662-8A48-6EE5139D17BA.jpeg

I believe you will need to cut out that damper. An angle grinder and/or a Sawzall with a metal cutting blades will work. From what I understand, you cut down the middle and the two pieces will come out. The frame is also cut out.
Hearing, eye, respiratory, and living room protection is needed. You will be covered in dust. A fire extinguisher is handy in case any soot catches fire from sparks.

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
I believe you will need to cut out that damper. An angle grinder and/or a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade. From what I understand, you cut down the middle and the two pieces will come out. The frame is also cut out.
I should have saved a picture from before. I did pull out the damper and this is what’s left.

I decided to send it! Wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be to manhandle from the roof. Wife helped me get it up there from the ground and she pulled the liner down and I fed from the top. Just took a few minutes and it’s done!

Now on to spotting the Drolet in and hooking it up!

Thanks! I was over thinking this one.

Reactions: wjohn
I hope so!

Of course it’s only getting down to 66 tonight… should get down to the thirties later this week, suppose that will be the fun day.
Third fire on my Drolet. Been too warm here as well. Had some stink and smoke from curing paint. Got the top over 400 at the sides over 600 in the middle. Probably needs a good hot reload to cure the rest of it.

Reactions: Fourthbean
Third fire on my Drolet. Been too warm here as well. Had some stink and smoke from curing paint. Got the top over 400 at the sides over 600 in the middle. Probably needs a good hot reload to cure the rest of it.
Fired it up and ran a few logs through it with the back door open, didn’t stink too bad but figured I should let it off gas while I could open the house up. That room got hot! Very happy so far.

Reactions: EbS-P