What is the best fireplace insert (woodburning)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jannan

Oct 9, 2010
NE Ohio
I am interested in buying a woodburning insert for my fireplace, I would like to know your opinions for the best one out there on the market....

Welcome to Hearth.com!

That question is somewhat loaded as you may imagine, but let's get some basics first....
The first thing to know is what type and size of fireplace are you putting this into and what type of flue is currently on it? That can severely limit options. Is it a prefab ZC fireplace? A masonry fireplace? What size & type of flue is on it (L,W,H, approx), is it tile, lined, metal? What are the dimensions of the fireplace opening at the front and the back? Pictures also help us!

These will help us narrow down the choices. There's no clear "best" in the market, it all depends on what you have to work with and your budget, among other things.

The best insert out there is the one that fits your needs. I have a Buck Stove model 74 and love it and we put on the pewter door instead of the black and the wife loves the way it looks. It does everything we wanted it to do as far as heat output and burn times but that doesnt mean you will like it. Do a lot of research and then do some more. Also local stove dealers of a certain brand are a plus because of service alone. Nobody wants to have a problem with thier stove with no dealer close enough to help service it if its needed. Bottom line is like everything else there is good and there is junk and your going to have people that own both that tell you how great thier stove is. There is a stove review page on this site that may help with your decision. Good luck and stay safe.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all of this, pretty excited to have stumbled across this site. Okay, it's a masonry fireplace, and I believe that the flue is tiled. I don't have the dimensions for it right now (at work) but it seems to be fairly large. I have talked to a Quadrafire dealer, in fact, they are going to come and measure it for me on the 22nd. But when I am comparing specs with the quadrafire and VC, it seems to me that VC is the better unit. What is a block off plate?

Quad is good, VC .... has a checkered/questionable company history -> ie ownership etc,

hang around, peruse some of the threads, and/or do a search within this site. There are review summations available as well within this site.

A good site to view dimensions, learn about alot of the stoves, chimneysweeponline.com

Without some specifications on the fireplace, the area it's in and the house we would just be speculating. Most everyone will say the best insert is the one I own! Take some time to read up a bit and visit a dealer or two. There are lots of good companies out there. What fits for your fireplace and home decor will depend on factors only you can decide on.

Here are some starter articles to read and some website links for visuals and insert installations.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/insert_intro

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/inswood.htm
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/
http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/wood_inserts.aspx

Thank you for the sites....I have been trying to investigate, there are some interesting reads out there. I have a colonial style home that is approximately 2200 square feet. The fireplace is located on an outer wall of my family room. The main level of my house is a rather open floor plan. I really appreciate any input!

I like the looks of the new PE.
But you gotta find out what's gonna fit first.

Got wood?

I got a Lopi and it got a bypass that's great. Now that I'm into 3yrs dried wood I'm having an issue that there's too much draft in the stove! I've got a shorter chimney (15' lined 5'5" and insulated) but there's very very little trouble getting the stove going, even @ 50 degree temps. The first chilly night I stuffed it full of wood, forgetting to pack the pieces tight together. 30 minutes later I was watching the guage going past 650F and just about laid and egg. I shut the damper, opened the bypass and put the fan on full blast. Very very slowly it came back down.

Its more like playing an instrument than running an appliance. Think carburators and not fuel injection.

btuser said:
Got wood?

I got a Lopi and it got a bypass that's great. Now that I'm into 3yrs dried wood I'm having an issue that there's too much draft in the stove! I've got a shorter chimney (15' lined 5'5" and insulated) but there's very very little trouble getting the stove going, even @ 50 degree temps. The first chilly night I stuffed it full of wood, forgetting to pack the pieces tight together. 30 minutes later I was watching the guage going past 650F and just about laid and egg. I shut the damper, opened the bypass and put the fan on full blast. Very very slowly it came back down.

Its more like playing an instrument than running an appliance. Think carburators and not fuel injection.

Have you thought about tweaking the air slide so it closes more?

If I laid an egg for every time the stove past 650, I'd be in the omelet business in winter. Probably in Ripley's Believe It or Not too.

Said it before, those 5.5" inch liners will suck like a Hoover. I cannot be convinced after burning into two of them for four years that they don't run hotter and draft better.

And there is not one thing wrong with backing that stove down when it is goes over six fifty and keeps climbing. Ya don't know where it is gonna stop. BeGreen had to buy his self a cast iron clad stove so that he wouldn't see the sides of the firebox glowing. :lol:

No glow until over 900 BB. 650 is where the T6 likes to cruise during secondary burn. And 700 peak is not uncommon with a fresh belly full. I was a little concerned at first, but it's pretty predictable. When I stoke up the 30 yr old 602, it will be at these temps easily. And that is with the stove backed down. OTOH, the Castine rarely got up to 650. I had to push it to do so. Max and cruising temps vary with the stove, so I don't get excited by the occasional foray to 700. At 750 and above however, I am on full alert and watching closely.

The best insert for you will be the one that does what you want it to do. How is that for an answer, just kidding. I used to have a cat insert and loved it for the long (12hr) burn time. However I get a ton of south sun and the front half of the house can get uncomfortably hot during the middle of winter. When the sun sets it gets cold again.

A 24hr burning blaze king insert would be awesome but I would not need a fire for most of the day so I would not utilize it to it's full potential. The osburn insert I got has a big firebox and is supposed to give an 8-10 hr burn time. I can load it up at bedtime and then put a small amount of wood in the morning to heat up the place until the sun takes over. If my house faced north and I did not have much insulation or if it was cloudy most of the winter, I would have probably broke the bank and bought a blazeking so I could get that long slow burn.

Another thing I had to consider is the wood I burn. All I have available is either aspen or lodgepole so I needed a big firebox to be able to really load it up for a long burn. It takes a lot more pine to get the same amount of heat that a few oak logs will give. I have a big fireplace (36w 24H 24D) so I wanted to find an insert that could utilize a lot of that space. I would rather have an oversized insert than one that is too small.

How big is the room that your fireplace is in? Mine is literally the entire front half of the house. Livingroom/entry, kitchen, and an open door to the laundry room. The door to the hallway where the bedrooms are is 6' wide so the heat from the insert can heat the entire house fairly easily. If you don't have an open floor plan you will need to take that into consideration.

Hi Jannan,
When talking about inserts, I have a huge favoritism for the Enerzone and Osburn products since they both have the blower included (no need to pay extra to add it) and it is located right in front of the unit! Their easy access mechanism allows you to do your regular cleaning of the blower without having to unscrew anything at all! They both have the high density brick, easy customizable door (overlay system), C-Cast baffles (ceramic cast with better heat reflection and durability than vermiculite), adjustable latch systems and some of the best warranties in the market (lifetime warranties in the glass and stainless secondary air tubes for example). Of course, each brand has different looks, sizes and features. You need to know exactly what is that you’re looking for and what’s that it will better fit your needs before making any kind of selection. I definitely wish the best results in your research. Just let me know if you wish to have some more information on these brands. All the best!

Geppetto83 said:
Hi Jannan,
When talking about inserts, I have a huge favoritism for the Enerzone and Osburn products since they both have the blower included (no need to pay extra to add it) and it is located right in front of the unit! Their easy access mechanism allows you to do your regular cleaning of the blower without having to unscrew anything at all! They both have the high density brick, easy customizable door (overlay system), C-Cast baffles (ceramic cast with better heat reflection and durability than vermiculite), adjustable latch systems and some of the best warranties in the market (lifetime warranties in the glass and stainless secondary air tubes for example). Of course, each brand has different looks, sizes and features. You need to know exactly what is that you’re looking for and what’s that it will better fit your needs before making any kind of selection. I definitely wish the best results in your research. Just let me know if you wish to have some more information on these brands. All the best!

The Lopi inserts are definitely among the best ones of the market, I completely understand why your friend’s wife will like them so much. Still for me, when talking about inserts, I have a huge favoritism for the Enerzone and Osburn products since they both have the blower included (no need to pay extra to add it) and it is located right in front of the unit! Their easy access mechanism allows you to do your regular cleaning of the blower without having to unscrew anything at all! They both have the high density brick, easy customizable door (overlay system), C-Cast baffles (ceramic cast with better heat reflection and durability than vermiculite), adjustable latch systems and some of the best warranties in the market (lifetime warranties in the glass and stainless secondary air tubes for example). Of course, each brand has different looks, sizes and features. You need to know exactly what is that you’re looking for and what’s that it will better fit your needs before making any kind of selection. I definitely wish the best results in your research. Just let me know if you wish to have some more information on these brands. You can find some great Enerzone and Osburn dealers in Ohio too.

Cut and past.

Almost everyone of your replys.

Hi North of 60
Yes, I did a “cut and paste” of most of the content of this post in another discussion because I honestly think the information was pertinent in both cases. Regards,

I've never been able to fill my firebox. It would take a lucky draw to pull the right size pieces. Maybe a stove with a rectangular firebox would be a lot easier, but the back of my firebox is much more narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.