what is this? ( antique cast iron fireplace insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoecohen

Hi all,
A newbie here... I'm looking to buy a house, and it has two fireplaces with cast iron inserts in them.
The house is circa 1906.
I'm wondering what this is called, and how it's used. (see image attached)
Does it provide better efficiency in heating the room/house than an open fireplace?
Thanks for your help!
Zoe

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,909
Hm... how about the toxins and serious health hazards of burning coal, for one?
Also, I can usually find wood for free.
Can anyone else let me know if this kind of fireplace insert can be used for wood burning?

Maybe al gore will chime in

zoe said:
Can anyone else let me know if this kind of fireplace insert can be used for wood burning?

It probably wouldn't throw off enough heat with wood to make it worth your time to burn in it. Fireplaces generally are pretty inefficient.

I normally don't throw up this link, but the "Hm" part above made me think this is a guy who could really put this info to use.

http://burningissues.org/car-www/index.html

Matt

zoe said:

What kind of Health hazards??? If coal is burn correctly it is no more "toxic" than wood or anything else that is burnt. As far as "envirnmental issues" your car probably is polluting the air more than a coal fireplace but I wont argue with you on that one.. If you have a free wood supply I would definetely go with wood. You wont be able to do it very efficiently or easily in that thing though.

EatenByLimestone said:
zoe said:

It probably wouldn't throw off enough heat with wood to make it worth your time to burn in it. Fireplaces generally are pretty inefficient.

I normally don't throw up this link, but the "Hm" part above made me think this is a guy who could really put this info to use.

Matt

I just read your link, Matt. We need to stop that lunatic and his band of crazies before they push their agenda any further. I agree that everyone should burn in the cleanest way they can, but to ban wood burning all together just seems rediculous. The funny thing is that many of these people live in huge homes with sprawling lawns, and we all know how bad lawns are for the enviornment. Maybe we should start a group to ban them!
Rich

:LOL: Sounds good to me! A little less gas in my lawnmower wouldn't make me cry too much. I think you'll find half this board is banned from that site. I guess I was trying to say in a round about way that some think wood smoke is toxic also. The EPA looks much harder at wood stoves than coal stoves... but you never hear that...

The longer I burn the more I realize that I didn't know everything I thought I did when I started.

Matt

Thanks everyone! Very informative.
Of course I realize wood smoke also releases toxins, but I'd personally feel more comfortable burning wood than coal, which is why I was asking.
I guess we'd just use the fireplaces for occasional use, not to try to heat the house.
(Matt, thanks for the link, but please consider, we're not all "guys" out here)
Zoe.

EatenByLimestone said:
zoe said:

Matt

Why did you have to post that link? I am now forced to go through and read all of the stupidity on that forum. I have to. I have no other choice!

EatenByLimestone said:
zoe said:

Matt

They are against BBQing?!

I used something like that when I was 12. It was used to burn canal coal, which was coal the size of bricks, to bigger. Idoubt that is still available. I think it was soft coal. It really looks nice though. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.