What is this metal grille for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scarlet Raven

Sep 10, 2017
Bay Area, CA
My home is built in the 1920s, and I have done all sorts of online searches to find what this is called and how it functions, but I've come up with nothing. I apologize for misidentifying any parts of the fireplace...

On the front of my fireplace, above the brick surrounding the fire area, below the wooden mantle shelf, there is a metal grate. Behind it lies 3 large open tubes. We've assumed it is a venting mechanism for hot air. The only reason I'm asking now is because I'm remodeling and I want to make sure when I redo this area, it keeps true to the original design. I have no idea how it works, so I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me.

Thank you in advance!
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the fireplace has a heat exchanger built in. Hot air exits out of the grille. It might be a heatform style. Is the firebox metal or masonry?

Sounds like the fireplace has a heat exchanger built in. Hot air exits out of the grille. It might be a heatform style. Is the firebox metal or masonry?

It seems to be metal. I just looked up "heatform fireplace" and it does have those cool air inlets on the sides also. Thank you.

It seems to be metal. I just looked up "heatform fireplace" and it does have those cool air inlets on the sides also. Thank you.
Yes, most likely it's a heatform then.