What is this part called? Harman Invincible T

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.


Apr 5, 2020
I have had this invincible T for years, it came with the house and I’ve replaced parts as needed to keep it running.

There is a 2” wide piece of metal that runs across the top of the burn chamber behind the top of the door. While cleaning the stove recently I found some flaking bits of metal that appear to be coming off this strip of metal. There also appears to be a 4” piece of this metal missing. I have no idea when this piece of metal came off or if it has been like this for the entire 19 years I’ve owned it. I thought it was an intentional gap for removing the baffles or something, but after looking at pictures of other Invincible Ts, I realize there is not supposed to be a gap.

Is this a deflector to help protect the flames from touching the glass? Should I drill a few holes in what’s left of it and bolt on a Piece of steel over it to cover the gap? I assume there isn’t a replacement part I could buy for this ancient stove. What are the risks of continuing using it as is? Thanks