What is this restrictor plate behind my Harman 52i burn pot?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MapleHill

Jan 22, 2021
Vermont
I'm replacing the burn pot on my 52i, and just found this restrictor plate behind it?! I was not expecting to find this plate, and am now wondering if it even needs to be there. The throat for the air (bottom port) is small than the throat on the stove body, hence the name I guess.

We bought the house with the stove already installed, and I'm trying to figure out if these came standard with the 52is or if they are added later by a tech to choke down the combustion air for some reason. I'm having a hard time understanding why the stove would need this plate, and if I should keep it on there or not.

When we bought the house, the stove was not using outside air. I've since added an outside air kit (if that matters). We have a fairly tall flue (liner runs to the top of the chimney, about 25 feet up).

It seems to be this part: https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...RsIdylIaxDqCklfdH3eTE5rpOs7VlW-QaAjs-EALw_wcB

Googling this part brought me very few results, so hoping for some feedback here. Thanks!

harman restrictor plate.jpg

Harman is absolutely terrible about not giving out information. 52i's had lots of problems with lighting, and I bet this is one of their "fixes", although the main fix, was the updated burn pot. If you really got to know, call a big dealer, or call/message Mountain View hearth products. Yes, put it back in, unless you hear different from Harman. Actually, that link you have? They are good to deal with, been around a long time, I bet if they don't know, they would contact Harman for you. Let us know what you find.

Hi MapleHill, I was wondering if you ever got an answer to this question? I'm in the same boat. Have an Accentra 52i and replacing the burn pot with the new revised one. I have the restrictor plate behind it and if you use the new gaskets that come with the new burn bot and since it requires two, one infront of restrictor plate and one behind these gaskets are much thicker then the original ones and it cause a slight gap between the burn pot and stove where the auger is pushing pellets in. I have reached out to Harman but still no answer on if the restrictor plate is required with the revised burn pot.