What is this wall made of?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
Hello, I am finally installing my new Fireview and I came across something peculiar on the wall. I always assumed that the brick wall behind my old stove was just that, a brick wall. I know the foundation is solid concrete and it is framed with insulation and wood paneling which cover the rest of the walls. It appears that behind and to the side of the stove is a brick face glued to the concrete foundation. Is this possible? In some places the mortar is missing and it is white. Each brick is level so I have to assume they didn't glue it on.......

As I write this I think I've answered my own question. I also have a similiar product on the fireplace upstairs but it is more noticably fake brick (most likely part of a renovation in the late 90"s). It is painted black between the bricks with no mortar attempts and I can see the edge of it if I peel back a piece of molding. My new question to those of you who have used this type of product... Is it combustible? I can assume it was installed in 1978 when the house was built as the original stove was also a 1978 model. I have the mininum recc distance if I used a heat shield, but do I need to?

The strangest part of the brick wall by the stove is at the top where the pipe exits for the outside chimney, they used full bricks on the corners but the same spacing and missing mortar spots with white concrete showing through. Anyone that has any info on this type of material would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 218
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 218
I"m guessing that this is a "cultured stone" type product. I suspect you'll find its basically a concrete material and possibly fiber-reinforced. I think Corning may have produced some of this. I'd bet its totally non-combustible. You could put in a hot fire to find out.

Hopefully someone who knows more will add.

Looks like a product that was called "Z-Brick" which was normally installed on top of drywall for a 'decorative' effect.

Shari

The "brick" isn't flammable - but make sure whatever is behind it isn't either if it's inside your clearances. If it is over sheetrock, you have a combustable wall

I just re-read you post and you mentioned they 'used full brick on the corners' - probably not, Z-Brick also came in an "L" shape made to fit an outisde corner which made it appear like a 'full brick'.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.