What is this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I ran across this in my wood pile. The end cut almost resembles hedge, it's very light weight, and a fresh split almost smells like vicks vaporub. The inner bark is a rust color and is very layered. I have very little of it, and it sure stands out compared to the weight of oak or hickory.

IMG_7190a.jpg IMG_7191a.jpg IMG_7192a.jpg

Could it be hemlock? Do you have that in your area?

Could it be hemlock? Do you have that in your area?
I had to look it up, we have eastern hemlock here, but it is almost always for landscaping. I don't think it's hemlock, I think this is a deciduous tree.

Could be Sassafras, it smells like Pinesol cleaner.
This could very well be it. The bark description sounds like it, and my sniffer isn't the best in the world, pinesol cleaner, vicks vaporub... close enough. Somehow this small tree got mixed in with the other trees that I was ripping through. I was always fascinated by Sassafras, whenever I'm out and see one I can't help but crush some leaves to smell.

I'm sold, thanks!

Yea I was going to guess sassafras. Just a little fun fact. My grandfather use to always brake a sassafras twig off and nibble on the cut end much like a cigar when we went squirrel or turkey hunting. He would always say if you have walked a lot and were thirsty it would make your mouth water and keep your throat from being dry. Tastes pretty good for a lil while too.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sassafras has quite a history of uses, from culinary, to medicinal and even just the aromatic uses. At one point the first Europeans thought it was the cure all of medicine. It is a unique tree, having 3 different leaf shapes. I may have to set one of these logs aside just for for the conversation of it. Like I said in the OP, what really stood out was how light weight this stuff is. I doubt it puts out much BTU's anyway.

Absolutely sassafras

I doubt it puts out much BTU's anyway.
About medium on the heat charts, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10 or so. And it will "pop" a lot, likes to hide moisture pockets so you will hear some pretty good pops when burning.

About medium on the heat charts, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10 or so. And it will "pop" a lot, likes to hide moisture pockets so you will hear some pretty good pops when burning.

When burning it hot, I get a lot of clinkers.
It's good to warm up the flue, burns quick and easily.

My guess is also sassafras. But I've never looked at splits, just trees and logs.

@PA. Woodsman The pops a lot sounds like the walnut wood I've got.

From the comments, it sounds like Sassafras would make good kindling.

@PA. Woodsman The pops a lot sounds like the walnut wood I've got.

From the comments, it sounds like Sassafras would make good kindling.
That's interesting, I can't recall ever having any Walnut that popped.

Sass does make good kindling and quarter splits, as a main fuelwood it burns a little quick but it works.

I've only been burning a little over a year, but it seems like all the walnut I get, which I've scrounged, has popped.

Last edited:

Sass does make good kindling and quarter splits, as a main fuelwood it burns a little quick but it works.

I can load my 2.9 cubic ft box and run 14+ hrs on it. If you don't control it, it can go fast and hot, but good control slows to burn it nicely. It does not have a crazy low amount of BTUs, apparently. So I'd take it, use some smaller splits to e.g. start fires, but big splits should work well, if you control the air.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I can load my 2.9 cubic ft box and run 14+ hrs on it. If you don't control it, it can go fast and hot, but good control slows to burn it nicely. It does not have a crazy low amount of BTUs, apparently. So I'd take it, use some smaller splits to e.g. start fires, but big splits should work well, if you control the air.
Yes, it does burn nice. I do take it when I can get it and will burn larger pieces too not just for kindling and quarter splits. It's funny how light it gets when dry, isn't it? But it does burn nice and slowing the burn down surely would help.

Reactions: stoveliker
At first glance it almost looked like black locust but once you said light weight and smelled like vick's I figured Sass. I think I've only ever gotten one round of it.