What is your pellet stove heat output at the blower vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qmanchoo

Oct 16, 2015
Derry, NH
Hey Folks, first time poster here, I'm curious if other pellet stoves to a better job than mine and interested to see if anyone has measured heat output. I did some searching and didn't find a thread with this particular information.

I have a AE mount vernon stove and, using my very scientific method, I get about 205 degrees out of the front blower measuring with a digital two prong meat thermometer. I have tried about 6 different brands of pellets from local sellers with similar results.

Is this lower than what other folks get? I read a few posts where some pellet stove owners were measuring 300 or even 400 degree heat output! However, I don't have any information on how they were measuring.

Bottom line is that this stove has a hard time keeping the house warm in the dead of winter. I might get to 68 degrees in the general area around the stove.

As a side note, I've fiddled with the settings to maximize heat output and recently had the stove 'professionally' cleaned.

Did I buy the wrong stove? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...m-air-coming-out-of-your-pellet-stove.136028/

is that on the high setting? i would expect something a little bit hotter on high.
not 400 degrees hot, but it seems like 250(ish) to 300 or so depending on the stove.

in that thread though i believe someone reported a similar temp as you on the medium range setting.
i don't think "the wrong stove" is what you have, but if that is on high, then i would expect it to be hotter.

just based on not being able to get the "stove room" over 68f, unless you basically have open gaps in your walls, that seems like something isn't right.
from all accounts i have read, the mt. vernon is a beast and should definitely be hotter unless that is on low with the feed gate all the way closed and -20 outside.
usually people who report having trouble heating the whole house are talking about the rooms away from the stove and are faced more with distributing the heat throughout the house rather than what you are describing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.