What Just Happened and How Dangerous Was It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i had it happen on my pos dutchwest neverburn.what was really scary is it happned when i opened the side door to re-arrange the wood! took my eyebrows half off! that was the begining of the end for that stove!

Might want to peruse the manual for your stove ( ya, I know, No one reads those) it just might tell ya not pack it floor to ceiling in order to keep a exhaust channel free.

Sad to say, but I actually read mine cover to cover.....except the installation instructions, oh, and the lighting a fire portion, may have skipped the clearance section, oh, and maybe, just maybe I skipped the parts details. Other than that, read everything.

Thanks everyone.

I think I also may have blocked the opening to the secondary combustion chamber in the back with the way I stacked the wood, worsening the draft situation.

I think the next time the flame dies down because I turned the air control down too soon, I'll open the bypass and vent the box before opening the air control back up.

Still not ready to go to bed with a full box yet, though.
This was a fluke, I wouldn't worry about loading it up full. The refractory in the back is made in such a way that it would really be hard to block it with wood. Just make sure that ashes don't cover the exhaust ports in the back and don't be so quick to shut the air down and you will be fine.

Thanks everyone.

I think I also may have blocked the opening to the secondary combustion chamber in the back with the way I stacked the wood, worsening the draft situation.

I think the next time the flame dies down because I turned the air control down too soon, I'll open the bypass and vent the box before opening the air control back up.

Still not ready to go to bed with a full box yet, though.

It will not be long before you are like the rest of us....,load it up, make sure it is burning right, go to bed and sleep in the warmth the wood stove is providing. Then you will get even more comfortable and put a full load in before you go to work so the house doesn't cool during the day. VOILA! You are a 24/7 burner.

The stove was designed to provide heat for the house, no different concept than your boiler/furnace. Yes, there is a little more personal maintenance to keep it running smooth, but now that I have mine figured out (well, at least for now) I would say that my wood stove runs better than my boiler.

The comfort will come- get that extra pipe on the top. Sounds like you are running things hotter before shutting down, that IR gun will become one of your best friends. I call mine Tattle Tale.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.