What Kind Of Pellets Are You Using And How Do You Like Them? **Poll Inside** Just How Many Brands A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What Kind Of Pellets Are You Using And How Do You Like Them?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
Sorry I couldn't get more brands on here, the poll only lets you enter 12 options. I'm curious to whether companys are producing pellets under different names.

I use Pennington's

Ash Content.........Medium
Clinkers...............Just a few
Heat Output.........High
Fines...................Very Low
Length.................Small to Medium

I really like them.

I use Lignetics's

Ash Content.........Very Low
Heat Output.........High
Fines....................Very Low

I really like them.

sinnian said:
I use CleanFire

Ash Content.........Low
Heat Output.........medium to High
Fines...................Extremely Low
Length.................Medium

EXTREMELY hard.

I really like them.

If that last more then 4 hours consult your Doctor. LOL

I've been burning Corinth, but I think they are a different bach of Corinths than most people are getting. Mine are in brown bags with red lettering. They seem to be high in ash and clinkers.

Just tossed in a bag of Penningtons. They are very different from the Corinths. They are all around half an inch and look lighter. They seem to be burning hotter and so far they seem to have a lot less ash.

I am using LGs

Ash Content.........Low
Clinkers...............never
Heat Output.........High
Fines...................Usually Low but varies from bag to bag

Pretty happy with them so far. I have recently experienced two auger jams so I just started sifting them. Most bags have very little fines.

My first year I burned:
Energex

Last year:
Green Supreme (NEWP)
Energex
Fireside Ultra
Narragansett

This year:
Green Supreme (NEWP)
Warm Front (NEWP)
Energex (left over from last year)

I prefer the Green Supreme over the other brands so far.

Heat Output.........High

mullet said:
sinnian said:
I use CleanFire

Ash Content.........Low
Heat Output.........medium to High
Fines...................Extremely Low

EXTREMELY hard.

I really like them.

If that last more then 4 hours consult your Doctor. LOL

That was precious. LMAO

New England in the tan bag with red lettering. So far they are great, having said that however I, a) don't have anything to compare to, and b) have only used about 1/2 a ton of them. I am looking forward to trying different brands but my wife said why bother if these work fine. Well I have 3 ton of these and predict I will need at least 1 more ton so I guess we will see what I can find.

Hello,
So far this year I have used three brands, my opinion is as follows;
PAPellets:The ugly
Energex:The bad; much better, however, than the ugly.
Lignetics:The good; excellent actually, I hope to get more.

Absolutley no contest, the Lignetics, which appear to be 100% hardwood, are the best.
Disclaimer: This is my first year burning pellets and these are the only brands I have tried.
Opinion based on one ton of Energex burned, half ton of PAPellets burned, eight bags of Lignetics burned.

Hope this might be of interest!

Sorry Syd, none of the ones I use(d) are listed.

I LOVE the Lignetics....the best pellets I have used, bar none. I also have NEWP, and they're good too. I tried some Freedom Fuel, and they were OK in a pinch, but I think they had way too much ash.

I'll be on the lookout for Lignetics this spring....I want to make them my permanent brand, they are that good!

I'm using CleanFire..Really lik'em..
Good heat, low ash, very low fines and a few clinkers...

i also use New England in the tan bag with red lettering. these are great .

I have been using Blazers from West Oregon Wood Products as stocked at the local Home Depot.

I have generally been very satisfied with them, but the last 10 bags I bought have an extremely large percentage of fines.

Ash Content....Normally Low, last batch High
Heat Output...High
Fines...Normally Low to Medium, last batch Very High
Length...Medium to Long
Clinkers...Normally Very Few, Last Batch Very Many and Very Hard.

Our local TSC carries Lignetics, which I have also been happy with in the past, but they charge $1 more per bag than HD, and they store them outside so they are always damp.

To date I've burned approximately 22 tons of Pellets. I'm currently burning NEWP's, in the tan bag and I think of the 10-12 different brands I've used, They're definitely the best.
My favorite pellets that I've used to date were the 8 tons of Fireside that I bought from Home Cheapo in the Spring of 2005 for $100 per ton. I guess I was a Pellet-Pig long before it was fashionable. I just arranged to have my oil tank filled @$2.00 per gal.
To me the greatest factor of owning a pellet stove is having choices.

This year I am burning 4 tons of Pike out of Illinois, very good heat average ash and no klinkers at all. Being a pellet pig I just picked up another ton today of Bayou out of La. I will probally burn these next just to see how they burn.

I have been burning pellets for 6 years now and by and far the best for me are the cubex closely followed by NEWP tan bag red lettering then green fire?? a softwood pellet.

These just have to be the worst pellets
newhaven.craigslist.org/for/938289319.html

And I'm The Pellet Pig

As a comparison, I bought 3 pallets of pellets back in July from HD, which would be $4.68 per bag. They will come down again.

I got two tons of natures earth freedom fuel pellets at HD, seem kind of high in fines but no other issues burning, havn't seen any clinkers after 20 or so bags.

rowerwet said:
I got two tons of natures earth freedom fuel pellets at HD, seem kind of high in fines but no other issues burning, havn't seen any clinkers after 20 or so bags.

I tried 3 bags of the Freedom Fuel from HD too....same opinion as yours. They burned OK, but a lot of fines compared to the NEWP and Lignetics I burn now, and a lot of ash. No clinkers, though.

I use Blazer Pellets, these are west coast pellets, sold at Home Depot, OSH. These pellets burn HOT and clean , very little ash.. Anyone on the west coast agree with me.......

Lignetics - my cold weather "sure things" - hardwood

Heat Output.........High
Length.................Medium/long

Love the Lignetics, very clean, dependable. however, they do seem to produce heavier ash that doesn't blow out of the burn pot as well as other brands. But the amount of ash is negligable

Northern Lights - my warmer weather pellets - softwood

Ash Content.........higher
Heat Output.........medium
Fines....................medium
Length.................small

These seem to require alot more sifting. They seem to have been handled too much? more sawdust in the bags. produce light fluffy ash that blows out of burn pot well. don't burn as hot. I use them when the temps stay above 25.

New England Wood Pellets - tan w/red - softwood mix?

Ash Content.........low
Heat Output.........medium/high
Fines....................very low
Length.................small /medium

These are good clean pellets, similar to Lignetics,

Lignetics - my first season so not much to compare to.They seem to work great. I am not a pellet pig and only put 2 tons in the basement this summer. I am sure when I go looking for my next couple of pallets I will be trying a different brand. But you can be sure I will search this forum for users advice before I purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.