What kind of stove is this? Help appreciated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Judi

Feb 7, 2018
New Jersey
Hi,
I have what I believe to be a French heating stove. My husband purchased it in 1976. He told me he had it reconditioned and it used coal as the fuel source. My husband passed away a year ago and I want to see if I can find someone who can help me hook this up and actually use it. I have been looking for help and finally got your information. I am sending pictures of the stove. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Judi Russo
806 Brighton Rd Cherry Hill, NJ. 08034
856 304-7969

Attachments

• stove3.JPG
    stove3.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 133
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 116
If it's coal, it will have a grate for air to come up through from the bottom air intake. They are usually moveable to shake the ash. French stoves sometimes use solid grates with a "slicer knife" if there is no handle or they don't appear to move. Here is a coal burning website that caters more to coal burning. It is the old NEPA Crossroads coal burning website. That is the place you may find others with one or those who know what it is.
https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/
All coal stoves and boilers use the same fundamental design with a different way to go about controlling air and exhaust flow, so anyone familiar with coal burning can figure it out with close up pictures inside and out.