What lighting do you recommend for an often cold garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Often higher color temp LEDs bulbs will have a bit higher lumen output, at least for 12v bulbs.
That reminds me. I once bought a high-output CFL for a dark hall area several years ago just to try. It was so intensely blue and violet, almost mercury vapor color that it was unbearable. It did seem brighter than other 100w equivalents, but not worth the garish color.

Color temperature and lumens output have a bizarre relationship with some people. Very often you hear people say that the blue (high temp) lights are brighter because they are less yellow even when actual lumens output is the same.

I like a soft white.

Reactions: Sprinter
Color temperature and lumens output have a bizarre relationship with some people. Very often you hear people say that the blue (high temp) lights are brighter because they are less yellow even when actual lumens output is the same.

I like a soft white.
Fore sure. Human color perception in the brain, and wavelength sensitivity of the cones is pretty bizarre in itself, and can certainly vary among individuals. I suppose the fact that I perceive "warm" colors as less bright has to do with the fact that overall sensitivity falls off with longer wavelengths, with around 555 nm green at the peak for most.

The "short" cones that peak in the blue/violet wavelengths may be more sensitive in some people. I don't know. Just speculation. Perception all happens in the brain anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.