What model Auber/probes do i buy for catalyst ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newguyjoe

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Monroe,NY
Hey everyone,
What model of temp probes and monitor do i get for the upcoming season ?
Also, do i go with the VC catalyst or are there other options? i think someone mentioned at ceramic option ?
Thanks,
Joe

Was the stove purchased without a catalyst or is this a backup spare? If it was purchased without one, get the VC cat for the full 6 yr warranty. The performance package (0003406) comes with the analog probe thermometer. If you want to do a digital probe, you will need to know the length of the analog probe to match that length. See if the dealer has one in stock that you can measure.

VC also recomends a stove top themometer. Condar makes a decent one.

Reactions: newguyjoe
You'll want a K type thermocouple rated for at least 2000 degrees F. I think the one I bought from Auber said it was for heat treatment or something like that. There are a few different ones that will work. I forget what lengths they have but if it's too long it will just stick out the back more. Mine is barely visible from the side so I don't mind.

Do make sure the tip of the probe is in the proper location directly below the cat. The stock probe holder on the VC stoves doesn't really work with the straight probes anyway so I just bent up a strip of metal to hold the probe and attached it to the rear heat shield with zip screws.

Reactions: begreen