New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) What Pellets to buy and Where

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmann96

Oct 21, 2018
Gilford, New Hampshire
I live in the Lake Region of New Hampshire. All I can find is pellets at either Lowes or Homedepot. Does anyone know where I can get a couple of pallets? looking for around 8500 btu with low ash.

I live in the Lake Region of New Hampshire. All I can find is pellets at either Lowes or Homedepot. Does anyone know where I can get a couple of pallets? looking for around 8500 btu with low ash.

I know the Keene NH HD had Fireside Ultras which have been pretty good in the past. I haven't tested out this year's batch though. If you can find Green Supremes at a HD or Lowes that might work for you as they have very low ash this year as far as the one's I have picked up.

I heard HD bought up a bunch of stove chow of pretty crap quality as they are going out of business. So they are peddling it at the same price as everything else for generic orders. Rochester is pushing firesides, not very close but if you scope out the back of the building to see what they have you could make sure they dont have a over stock of stove chow. Could order over the phone and insist on fireside.
(no idea how good the info is on stove chow going under)

I heard HD bought up a bunch of stove chow of pretty crap quality as they are going out of business. So they are peddling it at the same price as everything else for generic orders. Rochester is pushing firesides, not very close but if you scope out the back of the building to see what they have you could make sure they dont have a over stock of stove chow. Could order over the phone and insist on fireside.
(no idea how good the info is on stove chow going under)

It's tricky ordering a specific pellet of choice for delivery from HD. If you are not adamant about a particular pellet from a particular store they will just deliver whatever they have from the store closest to you.

The Stove Chow are super high ash. If you can find Green Supreme from Lignetics (check sku) they are very low ash.

Green Supreme is a lot of things but low ash isn’t one of them. I’m not knocking Green Supreme but there are several brands out there with far less ash. As far as I am concerned, all pellets produce far less ash than my former wood stove so no matter what brand of pellets I use, I’m way ahead of the game as far as ash is concerned.

It's tricky ordering a specific pellet of choice for delivery from HD. If you are not adamant about a particular pellet from a particular store they will just deliver whatever they have from the store closest to you..

they were a real PITA for me this year. I go to Leominster to order, and I check all the pallets out back first and only find FireSide Ultra. So when I order I say I want Fireside Ultra, and he says that's all they have, so yup. Then the delivery shows up and its Green Supremes because they sent from somewhere else, so I didn't accept them. Then they reschedule and cancel, reschedule again and don't show up, finally the 4th try they got it right, by sending from Nashua, even though Leominster still has a parking lot full of Fireside Ultras...

Green Supreme is a lot of things but low ash isn’t one of them. I’m not knocking Green Supreme but there are several brands out there with far less ash. As far as I am concerned, all pellets produce far less ash than my former wood stove so no matter what brand of pellets I use, I’m way ahead of the game as far as ash is concerned.

Pellets with high ash have been a big annoyance for me in the past-- dumping almost twice as often as a low ash pellet. And also almost twice as much vacuuming of the stove.

The Green Supremes you are talking about must be from last year unless our definitions of what constitutes a low ash pellet are radically different.

How far are you from Alton ? At the traffic circle there’s a hardware store that carries high end pellets

On the FSU's, this year's pellets are burning just fine. And it is true that you have to be really specific about getting that brand delivered, and not some other brand. The store I dealt with was good about it, and found a way to make sure that my delivery would be fulfilled by that store instead of some other. It had to do with their own scheduling - if my delivery date was on a day they were maxed out, it would bump into some other location.

Check your local Stove Shops. They usually carry high end pellets. Well, at least mine does in Hooksett. You pay a little more, but you get what you pay for! I bought a pallet of Okie's from him last month.

Hamshaw Lumber in Keene has some good brands. Haven’t been in there for a few weeks so I don’t know what they have at the moment.

Did you find anything yet? Are you picking up?
McManus (Barrington) has an excellent pellet, North Country,
at 5 bucks a bag. IMO, beats the heck out of anything at a Box Store...
Also Platinums, LaCrete, and LG brands..

Dan

+1 on North Country softwood pellets at McManus in Barrington, NH. 100% Spruce Softwood. Burns very hot with low ash output. Very similar pellet to Spruce Point or LaCrete. Can't beat the price at McManus for North Country @ $249 per ton or $299 for 1.2 Ton.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
North Country still 5 bucks a bag..
Stocking LaCrete, Vanderhoof, LG, LG Supers (33# bags), Olympus Douglas Fir.
New... just in..Matra 100% white pine... very hot, very clean... $299/ton! 6 bucks a bag,
at McManus in Barrington.
All brands except DF's are less than 6 bucks...

BBS nearby selling Team Platinum (hardwood) $6.29

Dan