What pipe to run from living space through wall thimble to masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 2, 2020
New Hampshire

Hi all,
We are looking to get supplies together to install a wood stove with a six inch outlet, through a convential 2x6 studded framed wall into a new brick chimney built right up against the exterior wall. The product linked above seems to do the trick. It calls for stainless steel smoke pipe to run from the living space to the flue, flush with the closer wall of the flue.

Would that be single wall stainless pipe, to keep a nominal 6" inside diameter?

Do I really need stainless steel for this, as opposed to standard mild steel pipe through the thimble to the flue? Where can I find a 24" length of single wall stainless pipe.

Is this what I would pass through the wall thimble to the flue?

Thanks for you help.

Will there be a stainless liner in the chimney? If so the tee snout would pass thru the thimble.

Good question. Got to talk to the mason who is building it. Is it customary for a chimney to used with a wood stove to be lined with ceramic or stainless here in New England. Thanks.

Older chimneys were generally clay tile lined, and this worked fine for older inefficient appliances that put enough heat up the flue to keep the clay tile warm. But newer and more efficient appliances put much less heat up the flue, and so they benefit from a stainless liner, or even an insulated stainless liner.

Reactions: sloeffle
Good question. Got to talk to the mason who is building it. Is it customary for a chimney to used with a wood stove to be lined with ceramic or stainless here in New England. Thanks.
You mentioned the masonry chimney will be built “right up against the exterior wall”. That is the reason for requiring an insulated liner. Chimneys must have a 1 inch air space to exterior wall and framing members and 2 inch clearance to interior walls. Many older chimneys were built against framing members and now require an insulated liner due to the direct contact.

Reactions: Ashful
Exterior chimneys are colder which often causes them to underperform as compared with an interior chimney. This can lead to decreased draft and increased creosote accumulation. Also, if a clay liner is to be used it should be sized appropriately to the stove. Often they are not. And lastly, was the chimney built to code with 1" separation from the building structure (except for trim contact)?

I can almost guarantee unless you specifically told them to use a stainless liner they are planning on using clay liners. And it will probably add 800 to 1000. But you want insulated stainless without a doubt.

You mentioned the masonry chimney will be built “right up against the exterior wall”. That is the reason for requiring an insulated liner. Chimneys must have a 1 inch air space to exterior wall and framing members and 2 inch clearance to interior walls. Many older chimneys were built against framing members and now require an insulated liner due to the direct contact.

I misspoke. The chimney will be built first, and the exterior wall of this attached garage (the wall between the garage and living space) will be build up to the sides of the chimney. We will have the brick of the chimney exposed in the living space on the other side too.

I believe that the mason said that he will build the chimney with a stainless steel liner, whatever is up to current quality and code standards will be done right.

Also, with a new brick chimney and wood stove installation, with no combustible wall for the thimble to pass through (exposed chimney on both sides of the wall) would you suggest an insulated thimble? Or just a straight single later one? Any advice or health links to schematics and recommened products are appreciated.