What kind of thimble do i need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It is a new (display model that had one tiny burn allegedly) Nectre N550. Clearance to combustibles is 10” as per the label but i’m looking to put it around 7” since it’s 100% non-combustible wall.

That said, i’d rather not see the stainless portion, just the black stove pipe and trim ring. Based on Bhollers 1.5”-2” suggestion i think that’s possible. So my current plan is to get the metal framing in place and measure, then figure out my rough pipe length needed. Any comment on whether to pack the thimble with cement in a roughly 12” square supported by the framing?
To do a proper masonry passthrough it isn't a 12" square. It is 12" past the thimble. So the square would be 12"+6"+12" or a 30" square. You are doing a non-combustible wall so that isn't required but I would fill around it with mineral wool insulation

Reactions: NorEaster603
To do a proper masonry passthrough it isn't a 12" square. It is 12" past the thimble. So the square would be 12"+6"+12" or a 30" square. You are doing a non-combustible wall so that isn't required but I would fill around it with mineral wool insulation
Got it. Any reason to use mineral wool vs fiberglass?

Yes that is the T from the stainless liner. Looks like he ran it through another piece of pipe that is cemented in place. Not sure if this is the “correct” way or not but for the money paid i sure hope so…
Yeah, I think my SIL's friend paid like $1000 for the install, but it appears they didn't elect to spend much on materials. 😒 I thought about seeing if he wanted to demand a refund for a not-to-code install, but we might need that dealer to contact PE if the need arises..

Got it. Any reason to use mineral wool vs fiberglass?
What he said. It is rated for the proper temps. If you use fiberglass your wall is no longer non-combustible

Reactions: NorEaster603