What size brush for my fireplace sweep? Cleaning Tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HandyFrank

Nov 17, 2014
Connecticut
I’m planning on sweeping my own fireplace chimney this year, my clay flue measures 7”x6.75”. Traditional wood burning fireplace, mainly for entertainment so I’m not burning steady. Had the chimney swept and inspected a few years back and haven’t burned much so I’m planning to sweep it this year.

Will a 7” square brush do the job or will it be too tight to change directions? I’ve read you want it on the tighter side so I’m thinking a 7” square brush is better than a 6” square. A 7” circle brush would probably fit easier but not clean the corners so this doesn’t seem to be a worthy option.

For cleaning, I’m considering using a rope to pull the brush, fiberglass rods top down, or making some rods out of some extra PVC pipe I have.

I popped my head into my fire box and shelf area and it all looks accessible so I will be getting some other type of brush to scrub the walls clean.

Is a 7” square brush my best bet for a flue that’s 7”x6.75”? Is the rope method worthy or am I better off with fiberglass rods, or homemade PVC tubes?

Last edited:
7" square sounds good, you may need to trim the sides a little of to stiff but not a big deal, spend the extra $30 and get the proper fiberglass rods that screw into the brush rather then take a chance with a pvc joint failing (plus where would you store a 20ft pvc rod once its all glued together) the rods make short work and you may not need the rope to pull the brush down (less trips up and down the ladder)

Are you sure your fireplace flue is that small? How big is the fireplace opening?

Thanks Everyone.

7" square sounds good, you may need to trim the sides a little of to stiff but not a big deal, spend the extra $30 and get the proper fiberglass rods that screw into the brush rather then take a chance with a pvc joint failing (plus where would you store a 20ft pvc rod once its all glued together) the rods make short work and you may not need the rope to pull the brush down (less trips up and down the ladder)
Good point. I was planning to use some pieces so I could screw/unscrew them and store them on the side of my garage, but maybe the fiberglass rods are the better bet.

Are you sure your fireplace flue is that small? How big is the fireplace opening?
Yes, it is a very old home so who knows what standards they were following when it was built. I once did the fireplace calculations and the flue is definitely smaller than the overall size that is required to today's standards, but I find if I don't build a massive raging fire it does fine venting as it should. The house is a 2 story home and the draft seems decent.

I have a SootEater and also bought a cleaning kit here: https://www.fireplaceessentials.com...side-flexible-chimney-cleaning-kits-c168.html. The rods look to be from Europe and are flexible.

I also have the following: https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.c...s/round-chimney-brush-with-cleaning-rods.phps. Very good product, too. My review is posted, commenting that the rods are not flexible.
I've considered these types of setups and see them used a lot online, but they seem more effective on round and stainless flues from reading general info online. I have no problem heading up on the roof to work from the top down, so a metal brush is probably a more long term product. Definitely going to check it out more though now that you've suggested that you like it. Is your fireplace a clay flue?

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone.

Good point. I was planning to use some pieces so I could screw/unscrew them and store them on the side of my garage, but maybe the fiberglass rods are the better bet.

Yes, it is a very old home so who knows what standards they were following when it was built. I once did the fireplace calculations and the flue is definitely smaller than the overall size that is required to today's standards, but I find if I don't build a massive raging fire it does fine venting as it should. The house is a 2 story home and the draft seems decent.

I've considered these types of setups and see them used a lot online, but they seem more effective on round and stainless flues from reading general info online. I have no problem heading up on the roof to work from the top down, so a metal brush is probably a more long term product. Definitely going to check it out more though now that you've suggested that you like it. Is your fireplace a clay flue?
I clean allot of chimneys and rotary cleaners do a better job in almost every case. The only difference when cleaning square or rectangle liners is that you have to run both forward and reverse to get both sides in the corners.

I clean allot of chimneys and rotary cleaners do a better job in almost every case. The only difference when cleaning square or rectangle liners is that you have to run both forward and reverse to get both sides in the corners.
Is the Sooteater the one you recommend?

Is the Sooteater the one you recommend?
It is a good homeowner grade one. Not what I use but it will hold up fine for what you need

It is a good homeowner grade one. Not what I use but it will hold up fine for what you need
I may have to give it a go, price is reasonable enough that if it works enough for a cleaning or two it would be worthy.

I noticed that going up the walls of my smoke chamber there are some chunks of lighter colored build up. How do you recommend cleaning those areas? With the Soot eater spinning head, or am I better off getting some type of manual brush and reaching up there to scrape it off? If the soot eater can take care of that it would definitely be a much cleaner job. For the smoke shelf should I just sweep off the heavy stuff and then use a vacuum to get the ash? I have a damper door that can be removed so I can reach the smoke shelf easily, and as high as my arms will go up the wall.