What size conduit for service entrance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Saw

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2014
Attica, Ohio
Howdy,

I'm running underground electrical service to a new pole building, what size conduit should I use for Aluminum 4/0 4/0 2/0 (I think that is the size for 200 amps)service cable? 2", 3"?

Thanks

2"

Yep, for that long a run 3" will make it easier. Not sure but check to see if this requires an increase in wire size for that length. I think 100' is the max for 200a with 4/0 alum. but it's been a long time since I looked at wire tables. When in doubt, ask the inspecting authority.

Last edited:
Power company requires 3" for the 200 amp feed to my house. Conduit is cheap, and hard pulls are no fun. Pull the wire after the conduit is assembled, the glue does not play nice with the wires.

Reactions: Hogwildz
Well we have no local inspecting authority, however the power company "engineer" said minimum of 2" is what they use. He also said thier underground runs are normally 10'-20'.

You guys ever used field tile as a conduit? My father swears by it.

Well we have no local inspecting authority, however the power company "engineer" said minimum of 2" is what they use. He also said thier underground runs are normally 10'-20'.

You guys ever used field tile as a conduit? My father swears by it.
No electrical inspector in your area? Yikes, that could get scary. Go 3", 100' is a long run.

Things are pretty relaxed in my county. It's pretty rural and the only "big city" is the county seat.

We don't have building permits either, just zoning permits ( for tax purposes)

The idea of any Joe wiring a house is scary. This is definitely a place where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Our house got a remodel in 1984 and the wiring was atrocious. Our previous house had the whole kitchen, outlets and all wired off of an old 40 amp range circuit!

Power company requires 3" for the 200 amp feed to my house. Conduit is cheap, and hard pulls are no fun. Pull the wire after the conduit is assembled, the glue does not play nice with the wires.
I'm with you on this one, larger is def better, and the cost difference is nominal compared to the ease between the 2" and 3". No brainer.

Our 200 amp conduit is 2" but it's a short run.

Go 3" .. there is special wire for underground service pulls. Some utility companies require a galvanized 90 degree sweep (as opposed to PVC) to handle the long pull. Ask for "USE" rated wire at you local electrical house. Definitely get you utility out there before doing anything. Be nice.. they could make your life miserable.

I am a utility worker and we required 3" schedule 40 grey for 4/0al tpx - be advised that the 4/0 has a load amp rating at 180amp @ 240volts - (That a lot of power) considering your probably being fed from a 25kva (or less) transformer. A 25kva will give you approx. 128 full load continuous amps before it boils out and "blows"

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
I am a utility worker and we required 3" schedule 40 grey for 4/0al tpx - be advised that the 4/0 has a load amp rating at 180amp @ 240volts - (That a lot of power) considering your probably being fed from a 25kva (or less) transformer. A 25kva will give you approx. 128 full load continuous amps before it boils out and "blows"
I'm also a utility worker, been doing line work about 8 years, 3" is much better for the little cost increase. We put in a lot of 4/0 triplex. I've seen it run almost 400 ft. ...although I Wouldn't recommend that!

400ft - it's all dependent on load and voltage, generally we don't like going past 300ft, if it is a longer run we either bump up to the next size wire 350al, or primary extension

400ft - it's all dependent on load and voltage, generally we don't like going past 300ft, if it is a longer run we either bump up to the next size wire 350al, or primary extension
Running a small shop, I agree with 300 ft. I think past that is pushing voltage drop issues. As far as I know it's been ok for the guy though. Around here we have to be within a certain percentage of 120 / 240 volts.

2" is fine. 3" is stupid. If anything you could go 2.5", but you don't need to. I've installed tens of thousands of feet of 4/0 sweetbriar in 2" conduit, with some runs going over 300', with no problems.

Menards 2" sch 40 is around $5 per 10'. 2.5" is like $14. Per 10' and 3" is $13 per 10'.

So that means 2.5" is out but 3" is is 2.5 times the price of 2". The short run is about 85' and the long run is 160'.

I'll have to do some more price shopping at some local supply houses. Hopefully I can get some better pricing if I buy everything at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.