What size pipe should I run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John4850

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas
Hello All,

I finally received my Hargrove propane gas logs and I've decided to do the work myself and run black pipe from the side of my house to my fireplace.

My run will be a total of 40'. From the outside tank, it will be 30' to the top of my fireplace enclosure in the attic and 10' down to the burner. I plan on putting a T at the end of that 30' run above the fireplace in case I want to install a run to my outside fireplace at a later date. That run would be about 30'.

Since I only want to do this one time, I was thinking of using 3/4" pipe for the entire run. Is that the correct size to use or is it overkill?

Thanks,
John

Reactions: k0wtz
I have 1/2in copper with flare to run my furnace off this I ran a 3/8in tee to run my 20,000btu unvented heater in our family room this run is a good 80f. this all runs off our 500 gal propane tank. I don't know why you cant run copper all the way at least to your black pipe run up the wall suppose the black pipe would look better. depends how it appears I would rather bury copper than steel for the below ground.

I have 1/2in copper with flare to run my furnace off this I ran a 3/8in tee to run my 20,000btu unvented heater in our family room this run is a good 80f. this all runs off our 500 gal propane tank. I don't know why you cant run copper all the way at least to your black pipe run up the wall suppose the black pipe would look better. depends how it appears I would rather bury copper than steel for the below ground.

I’m going to have a 100 gal tank a few feet from the house, so I don’t need to bury any pipe.

I’m bringing the pipe into a closet and then straight up into the attic. I’ll then take it over to the fireplace enclosure and down. I figure that I’ll have 4 or 5 90 degree turns and things are pretty tight so I was thinking that pipe was easier.

John

I put in a 500 gal tank last fall (going to change it to 1000 this summer) and ran 1/2 yellow flex 80' underground to the house. From the regulator on the side of the house we ran 1/2 black pipe through the wall, along the inside wall to the stove. I think my propane dealer told me they put the yellow flex in attics too. You might want to call a couple dealers and pick their brain for your local codes - or as your city/county inspector. I found all of them to be very helpful.