What size splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2015
Massachusetts
What size is a good size for splits? I think my splits might be too large. I wonder if I should split them, again? I would guess that most are over 6".

Depends on the wood species, how dry the wood is and the particular stove. We burn >6" splits frequently in our 3 cu ft stove. This is especially true for doug fir which would burn too quickly if split too small. What stove is this for and how dry is the wood?

It's a Clydesdale insert. I bought a moisture meter and, so far, I'm showing 15% - 20% moisture. The wood is maple and oak. I have some pine, as well.

6-8" splits should be fine with the Clydesdale. 10" would be getting a bit large. However, it's nice to have a mix of sizes, particularly for starting but also for filling in gaps when reloading.

no bad questions here and lots of experienced help available to answer them all.

Here is my take on splits and size and what causes them to grow and why....

1. Bigger burns longer, all other things being equal to the point of default ie. "Damn thing won't fit no how through the stove door."
2. the farther ahead you are on wood the more liberal you can be with your split size up to the point of.. "damn thing won't fit no how through the stove door"
3. the later in the day or the more hours straight you have been splitting the larger your splits get because, well, who cares if the damn thing wont fit - I am SICK of splitting!!
4. get 3-4 years ahead on CSS fire wood and burn fat splits an big rounds!!

Reactions: Smoked
Status
Not open for further replies.