what stove to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffspeed

Dec 14, 2009
Rome, N.Y.
I have been a member for a little while now, and read a lot of post trying to decide what stove to buy. Thank you all for your help, I have finally decided what to do. I am starting to get up in age, and get cold a lot faster then I use, so I wanted more heat, and not go broke doing it. $3000.00 or $4000.00 was doable for the stove and installation. But I didn't know there was go to be so much work cleaning and maintenance. So what I finally came up with is, more insulation which is only R-13 in the attic, and no where else. And a new furnace which is over twenty years old. That would be a lot faster return on my investment, and a lot less work. And I still get the tax brake.

Sounds like a smart move in your situation FF. The insulation will help a lot, and the newer high efficiency furnaces will help you get the $$ back faster. And yes, the tax credit too!

Good luck, and keep warm.

Sounds like you have a good plan, and it will probably work out much better in the long run. I plan on a new furnace myself in the next few years, as well as adding more isulation also. I will then be out of the pellet stove game, and look forward to not having to clean my stove, and haul around bags of pellets.

ffspeed said:
I have been a member for a little while now, and read a lot of post trying to decide what stove to buy. Thank you all for your help, I have finally decided what to do. I am starting to get up in age, and get cold a lot faster then I use, so I wanted more heat, and not go broke doing it. $3000.00 or $4000.00 was doable for the stove and installation. But I didn't know there was go to be so much work cleaning and maintenance. So what I finally came up with is, more insulation which is only R-13 in the attic, and no where else. And a new furnace which is over twenty years old. That would be a lot faster return on my investment, and a lot less work. And I still get the tax brake.

Your`e a wise man. Blowing $3-$4 grand for a space heater doesn`t exactly make a lot of sense when the house needs to be insulated and the central heating system needs to be upgraded. It`s akin to sticking a bandaid on a self inflicted shotgun wound.
When those priorities are completed you could think about a pellet stove for supplementary heat and you don`t have to spend $3 or $4K either.
I`ve been running one for 2 yrs in the house (used Harman) that cost $500 and came with 36 bags of pellets. I`ve got a new (blemished) one in the rear garage/workshop that cost $490 after my tax rebate. Think about it, it`s only a space heater and some of these space heaters are way way overpriced.

There is nothing quite like those permanent pellets ffspeed, they don't need to be repeatedly purchased or handled.

For the folks that wish to use a pellet stove to provide the bulk of their heat the insulation needs to be done anyway.

Yes, best investment is to first tighten your thermal envelope, and then when you have take that as far as is cost effective, then upgrade your heating. Heat sources need maintenance and eventually die, but added insulation will pay you back forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.