What temperature would a nearby combustable......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Need to be to start to go on fire or cause a problem? I really fired up my insert as I am still learning the ins and outs of it, what it is capable of doing and what it is not. Using my ir thermometer, I took temps of 133 degree on a small part of a tv cabinet and 150 degrees on a small part of wood flooring nearest my insert. So what would be the degree that you really need to be concerned about something dangerous happening?....

It's higher then what you might think.
Wood has to be around 300 degrees to release the volatile gases in it and then I think it takes like another few hundred before there is flame..and you need a spark unless it was heated way more.
Paper I think will fire off if heated to 451 degrees without a spark...remember that book called Fahrenheit 451?

Anything that feels hotter to the touch than I'm comfortable with tells me it's time to move that object a bit further from my stove. With me it's not so much a worry about an object actually bursting into flames.

Anything that feels hotter to the touch than I'm comfortable with tells me it's time to move that object a bit further from my stove. With me it's not so much a worry about an object actually bursting into flames.
I'm with you..I don't take any chances..but he does have a good and valid question.
A lot of people have carpet or wood floors not far from their stoves that do get warm.

Anything consistently at 190F or higher should be looked at for a remedy.

Great, thanks all, for your input.... And yes you are right about a lot of people have things near their firepower and it is never discussed, only in clearances when installing the units.....

Status
Not open for further replies.