What the dealers make on a ton of pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what they try to make... A "Living". Just like we all do. Cant blame them.

BrotherBart said:
Pellet prices will get real interesting when the Gov. realizes they are "fuel" and starts tacking on taxes like they do for all other forms of energy.
Sales tax on them already in many states. Not so (yet) in Maine. Our Governor wants to replace oil with pellets in rural areas of Maine, and gas in the urban areas. Frankly there is little of Maine that isn't rural. I live 4 miles from the State Capital building and there is deer hunting in my back yard every day now except Sunday.
I have cable internet but can't get broad band because I live too far out!
I just hope pellets remain reasonably affordable.

BrotherBart said:
Pellet prices will get real interesting when the Gov. realizes they are "fuel" and starts tacking on taxes like they do for all other forms of energy.
Doubtful. Here in Vermont heating fuel is one of the only things not taxed. Used to be fuel and beer, but they stuck a tax on beer a few years back to standardize with other states.

Governments really don't like people freezing to death. Doesn't look good when it makes the news.

whit said:
BrotherBart said:
Doubtful. Here in Vermont heating fuel is one of the only things not taxed. Used to be fuel and beer, but they stuck a tax on beer a few years back to standardize with other states.

Governments really don't like people freezing to death. Doesn't look good when it makes the news.

you know, they already don't care if people freeze to death. Fuel is a buck more a gallon, and the federal fuel assistance is less than half of last year. With 70% of Maine household heating with oil and one in four households assistant dependent, it seems the government freeze is on.

save$ said:
you know, they already don't care if people freeze to death. Fuel is a buck more a gallon, and the federal fuel assistance is less than half of last year. With 70% of Maine household heating with oil and one in four households assistant dependent, it seems the government freeze is on.
You've got a strong point there. But federal excise taxes aren't applied to home heating oil. Vermont doesn't tax any heating fuels, nor does Connecticut. Haven't checked all the other states. State politics, being more local, may be more responsive than federal. I know in Vermont when someone freezes to death it makes the papers state-wide. People here know what harsh cold is, and wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Taxing is a different matter than handing out aid to the poor though. All this state's politicians want that fuel assistance funding fully restored. But a lot of people in Washington these days believe the poor should not be helped by government at all. So the people who believe otherwise there have compromised and split the difference on this one. Sort of like Solomon's solution with the baby. Our leaders have such wisdom!

Our Washington leaders are to busy giving money to some other crooks who develop a "green" company that is doomed to failure and it is funneled away to somebodys retirement plan or reelection.

whit said:
save$ said:
You've got a strong point there. But federal excise taxes aren't applied to home heating oil. Vermont doesn't tax any heating fuels, nor does Connecticut. Haven't checked all the other states. State politics, being more local, may be more responsive than federal. I know in Vermont when someone freezes to death it makes the papers state-wide. People here know what harsh cold is, and wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Taxing is a different matter than handing out aid to the poor though. All this state's politicians want that fuel assistance funding fully restored. But a lot of people in Washington these days believe the poor should not be helped by government at all. So the people who believe otherwise there have compromised and split the difference on this one. Sort of like Solomon's solution with the baby. Our leaders have such wisdom!

But Washington wants to be funded by the poor.

Oh, MA doesn't tax heating fuel either. At least not yet.

whit said:
save$ said:
You've got a strong point there. But federal excise taxes aren't applied to home heating oil. .....Snip

Yes not applied to home heating oil, but it is applied to motor vehicle fuel that is used by people getting to and from their jobs and materials moving from their origins to points of use.

These taxes impact the poor's ability to buy fuel and food just for starters.

While Maine doesn't levy sales tax on fuel used for heating it sure levies taxes on vehicle fuel (see above).

What the federal government did with fuel assistance money wasn't what should have been done with it but that is a story for another day.

Now I also have issues with how some of the recipients of the aid that was available made use of it , this involved siphons, and pleading for aid from multiple sources. I'll also leave this for another day as well.

Anyone want to talk about 300K per unit subsidized housing?

SmokeyTheBear said:
whit said:
save$ said:
You've got a strong point there. But federal excise taxes aren't applied to home heating oil. .....Snip

Yes not applied to home heating oil, but it is applied to motor vehicle fuel that is used by people getting to and from their jobs and materials moving from their origins to points of use.

While Maine doesn't levy sales tax on fuel used for heating it sure levies taxes on vehicle fuel (see above).

What the federal government did with fuel assistance money wasn't what should have been done with it but that is a story for another day.

Now I also have issues with how some of the recipients of the aid that was available made use of it , this involved siphons, and pleading for aid from multiple sources. I'll also leave this for another day as well.

Anyone want to talk about 300K per unit subsidized housing?[/quote]

I'm willing to listen!!

Eatonpcat said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
whit said:
save$ said:

Anyone want to talk about 300K per unit subsidized housing?[/

I'm willing to listen!!

Start reading: http://www.pressherald.com/news/housing-agency-overseers-clash-on-project-costs_2011-11-16.html

Around here they are building new single family homes for subsidised housing.
about 1600 sq ft, PAVER driveways ( green friendly) PAVER walks
cost
more than anything within 10 miles around it
2 years into it nieghborhood looks like the ghetto
money well wasted
dont get me started
we are involved in all sorts of goverment rehab
total waste of funds
they will spend hundreds of thousands to rehab a historical home one unit
and could of built 5 new ones that would actually be right when they were done

and also on the topic at hand
there is obviously the opinions from employees and business owners here
I have a 15000 sq ft warehouse with forklift, loading docks and employees in place
I buy pellets by the semi load for personal use along with some friends
I would not even consider buying them to resell at a 50 dollar per pallet profit
if I sold a trailer load a week it would not even cover the costs involved
and mine is existing already just not worth it and I seriously considered it
I can not imagine trying to run a profitable business on pellet sales
around here all the stove/pellet dealers have multiple other income streams

There was talk of bulk delivery a couple of years back. To be honest, I don't know of any one who is has it. Somehow feel there would be a better income margin without beefing up the cost if bulk delivery were to become available and realistic. When I was a kid, there used to be coal trucks that did bulk delivery. It was a dying industry then and now is totally gone in this area.

save$ said:
There was talk of bulk delivery a couple of years back. To be honest, I don't know of any one who is has it. Somehow feel there would be a better income margin without beefing up the cost if bulk delivery were to become available and realistic. When I was a kid, there used to be coal trucks that did bulk delivery. It was a dying industry then and now is totally gone in this area.

I used coal (I rebuilt an old gravity air coal furnace back in 1980) at one time and I had the coal delivered in bulk. You want to talk about a "draft" across the floor, that beast could move it, no fans needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.