What the hell is up with my coal bed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Temperature dropped considerably recently, and oh how does the stove draft well.....

But I'm finding that I'm getting a lot more ash. Same wood pile, triple the ash. In the past, I'd burn for a couple of days before emptying the stove. Last night I noticed the ash pile had built up considerably, so I didn't restoke, knowing that I'd clean it out this morning. Under this 4" pile of ash were all sorts of hot coals........ I've never had this before.

Tonight same thing, ash levels are building fast. I've also noticed that my wood is holding a flame a lot less long then in the past.... It flames out quicker, and coals a lot faster.

Is any of this making sense? I've had a couple to drink.........

Does the stove draw room air or outside air? It sounds like it isn't getting enough air. run the poker through the ashes to float the coals up to the surface where it can get more air. Remove ashes more often.

Colder it is out, more/easier the stack drafts, quicker the wood burns, same amount of heat has lesser effect trying to heat same space at colder temps due to more/quicker air cooling & /or heat loss.
Depends on the wood also. For me, oak coals great, sometimes a bit much. Maple is alot of white fluffy ash, ALOT of ash.

Try raking all the coals towards the front where they can burn down during reload time.

You guys are probably right... Combination of things.... No big deal.

I'll tell you that reloading has gotten a lot easier. No smokiness at all, and the logs just flame right up!

I guess I'll just keep feeding her, raking the coals and emptying the ash like everyone else..... Where have the free lunches gone?!?!?

I just want to know what was you drinking!. :)

BJ64 said:
I just want to know what was you drinking!. :)

Salt Lake, although known for a certain large religious order.... is also known for its microbrews. We are by no means Portland or Denver, but we fancy our beer quite a bit.

Tonight, Uinta brewries 25th anniversary Barley Wine. 10.4%. Two of those and I start going off on my coal beds!!!!! %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.