What to add to the burn pot for startup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful with any flame or heat source around creosote.

Creosote is a very nasty mixture of many different combustible compounds some of which have ignition temperatures below that of paper products.

Had a small blaze out back last year in the burn pit and it got interesting when somone slipped in a bottle of Starter Gel.

The only thing I add to my burn pot to get 'er lit is Propane.

I use a push button BernzOmatic TS-4000 to light a handful of pellets in about 20 seconds.

Just started on the second propane bottle in 3 years.

Once the flame is self supporting I close the door and enjoy the heat.

No fuss, no muss.....easy peasy, pumpkin pie.

---Nailer---

OK nailed_nailer, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, although it seems awfully easy to lite lamp oil, less than 4 seconds. On the other hand, I have about 10 bottles of propane that I never use. I tried a little mineral oil today but it wouldn't light, it seems it's the purified version of motor oil, whereas lamp oil is the even-more purified version of brake fluid, -very thin.

About creosote, I'd bet that any light-volatile variations of creosote wouldn't be produced by pellet stoves -which burn hotter than lazy wood stove fires. Anything reasonably volatile is going to be burned, and only really thick oily material would go out the vent as smoke or fumes and possibly stick to the pipe walls. If anyone has any knowledge of creosote fires in pellet stove vent pipe, please share or give a link.

Arnash,

1. Turn on stove. On mine that means Auto/Man to Man, Convection Blower off, Dial-a-Fire to Mid way.
2. Throw in a handful of pellets into the burn pot liner.
3. Light torch and hold flame to pellet pile in liner
4. Pellets will glow red but keep torch flame there until yellow flames start licking upward. (You can tell when it is going enough)
5. Close door and wait for Fire box sensor (Green Light on mine) to indicate it is ready for auto mode.
6. Switch to Auto and turn on convection blower to 75%.
7. Relax in heat and enjoy a beverage.

I use a BernzOmatic TS-4000 because it is easy to just press the button to light the torch.
Here is an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS4000-Trigger-Start-Torch/dp/tags-on-product/B00008ZA09

I keep the torch in the Stove Box next to the stove. Along with all my cleaning tools and adapters.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I made the mistake of trying my Sure-Fire torch with the combustion blower off, smoke began whaffing out of the open door! I realized the mistake and turned the blower on but it seemed like it was going to take longer than would be acceptable so I squirted some lamp oil on the pellets and presto! Lots of flame and heat to get the pot warmed-up for igniting the pellets. Once the oil is lit I can close the door right away, so it's faster that way.

I have a suggestion that might be helpful when using the torch, first heat the burn pot liner (grate) for 5 seconds or so to make a hot bed for the pellets which you then toss in. Then there's heat from the bottom and the top. Maybe Ill give that a try tomorrow morning.

arnash,

My Operators Manual for my EF-2 clearly states not to use Flammable liquids in the stove.

From the EF-2 Manual Pg 5.
FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS: Never use gasoline, gasoline-type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter fluid, or similar liquids to start or “freshen up†a fire in the heater. Keep all such liquids well away from the heater while it is in use.

Granted, most folks that manually start their stoves tend to ignore that line.

You do what you want to do,

I think I'll stick with my torch.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
arnash,

My Operators Manual for my EF-2 clearly states not to use Flammable liquids in the stove.

FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS: Never use gasoline, gasoline-type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter fluid, or similar liquids to start or “freshen up†a fire in the heater. Keep all such liquids well away from the heater while it is in use.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Well isn't Wood pellet starting Gel a flammable liquid?

I would think if it is not as dangerous as jet fuel (Kerosene Based) it would be ok?

nailed_nailer said:
arnash,

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

To each his own. After trying the propane torch today I found it a very inconvenient way to start a fire. The wind from the torch blows any nearby fly ash into the air, the pellets smoke, turn black, don't ignite for too long of a time and the door is open during the whole process allowing smoke to possibly exit the stove. After about 8-10 seconds of torching I let the torch go off and the pellets hardly had any spots glowing so I squirted about 8 squirts of lamp oil into the pine cones I tossed in and immediately had a big hot flame. Nothing is easier or faster. Nor safer since it ignites very gently.

As for Flammable liquids being prohibited, lamp oil isn't a "similar liguid" to the ones mentioned since it's not toxic like kerosene and charcoal lighter and it's not explosively flammable like "gasoline-type lantern fuel" which is also know as "white gas" or Coleman Camp Stove and Gas Lantern fuel. So it's neither a toxic fume generator or an explosion danger. It's just perfect. Don't knock it until you try it. Its only draw back is that it isn't dirt cheap.

Don2222 said:
nailed_nailer said:
arnash,

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Well isn't Wood pellet starting Gel a flammable liquid?

I would think if it is not as dangerous as jet fuel (Kerosene Based) it would be ok?

Nope a gel isn't a liquid, the gel likely has alcohol in it but it doesn't drip or splash back where it shouldn't nor does it generate explosive gases.

arnash said:
nailed_nailer said:
arnash,

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

To each his own. After trying the propane torch today I found it a very inconvenient way to start a fire. The wind from the torch blows any nearby fly ash into the air, the pellets smoke, turn black, don't ignite for too long of a time and the door is open during the whole process allowing smoke to possibly exit the stove. After about 8-10 seconds of torching I let the torch go off and the pellets hardly had any spots glowing so I squirted about 8 squirts of lamp oil into the pine cones I tossed in and immediately had a big hot flame. Nothing is easier or faster. Nor safer since it ignites very gently.

As for Flammable liquids being prohibited, lamp oil isn't a "similar liguid" to the ones mentioned since it's not toxic like kerosene and charcoal lighter and it's not explosively flammable like "gasoline-type lantern fuel" which is also know as "white gas" or Coleman Camp Stove and Gas Lantern fuel. So it's neither a toxic fume generator or an explosion danger. It's just perfect. Don't knock it until you try it. Its only draw back is that it isn't dirt cheap.

The next time you get some Coleman 'gas', take a look at the ingredients and see what is there. It's naphtha, not gas. The old term 'white gas' was gas without lead so it wouldn't clog up the nozzle of your stove or lantern.

"The next time you get some Coleman ‘gas’, take a look at the ingredients and see what is there. It’s naphtha, not gas. The old term ‘white gas’ was gas without lead so it wouldn’t clog up the nozzle of your stove or lantern." That's something I didn't know since the last time I bought lantern gas it still was gas (long time since then) I don't know which is more flammable, gas or naphtha, but as the manufacturer's warn, neither is safe. BUT...lamp oil is perfectly safe, as anyone who's ever lit an oil lantern knows, it lights as lethargically as a candle. No fumes, no explosive capacity. It's the perfect starter liquid if one doesn't have gel or barbecue starter chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.