what to do in case of chimney fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have what is probably a dumb question. what should I do if I have a chimney fire with my wood boiler? I know there used to be these stick you could put in your wood stove during a fire that would put one out but I have not seen them in years. The only reason I ask is I know that the wood boiler puts out alot more creosote than a normal stove and all. any thoughts? thanks in advance for any info. I did just pick up an extra fire extinguisher to keep near the boiler just in case.

Len

Outdoor or indoor boiler? How close to the house?

Calling the fire department if you're worried about your house in any way would be a good first step.

At the same, time you're doing that, close off all the air you can to the fire, limit it or even put it out if you can.

Not fussy, myself, about opening the door during a chimney fire, but some people do, to throw anything in on the fire.

Maybe you won't be home when it starts, and it'll burn itself out and unless your neighbors notice it or someone driving by, you won't "know" where all the soot and bits and pieces of creosote on the snow in the yard came from.

I have a orlan eko in my basement with no storage. there is someone home most of the time as my wife is here with our newborn so basically I would like to be able to tell her what to do without speaking out my caboose.

simple, especially if your wife and child are in the house. Do not grab anything, just get out. chase down the neighbors and call from there. Once you smell smoke,seriously, it may be too late. Just get out. If it was you alone in the house, maybe do a few things different, but the wife and baby? The babies lungs are too small to take chances with. If you have a 2 story house, plan for it. Local firehouses have some no-nonsense/simple ideas.

Keep up on your insurance, and don't sweat the material things in life.

Can never go wrong calling the fire department in that situation. The guys in cold climates are trained to deal with chimney fires. Choke them to death. If the roof is accessible, or you can get the ladder truck into place, get to the top of the chimney and drop a "goody bag" down there. It's a gallon freezer bag full of dry chemical material. Some have used a high pressure stream up the cleanout, but most don't. The cold water isn't good for the chimney or tile.

Best case, it'll burn itself out and not damage anything. I guess we all know the worst case... I'll, or someone like me, will work up a sweat.

Attachments

• leonDFC.jpg
    leonDFC.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 525
People come first, houses and stuff come second. Everybody needs to be at least "ready" to leave the house. (READ: standing by the door with hats, coats, and boots ON).

Everybody who burns wood copes with this issue. Keeping the chimney clean helps immensely with many issues, including piece of mind. We've also all smelled smoke from time to time in the house, from outside sometimes when the weather is right and the fire is "low".

Be safe, and use common sense and good practices.

The best defence is not have one. You say that you have an eko gasification boiler so you should not be making any creosote in your chimney. It is normal to have some in the primary chamber and that won't cause any problem but if you are getting it in the chimney it IS NOT BURNING RIGHT. Go to the sticky thread on adj your eko and get it running right. Make sure you are burning dry wood or somewhat close and have it gasifing and you won't have a chimney fire as there won't be anything to burn. If you have problems post here and we'll try and walk you through it.
leaddog

I just thought if there was a product to throw in the firebox that would put it out that would be handy to have on hand. guess it will be the keep it clean and hope call the firemen if my luck runs out.

I think the sticks you mentioned were called "chimfex" or something like that. Basically a dry chemical extinguisher to through in a fire. I would advocate to let professional fire fire fighters handle a serious blaze although you should stop all air to the fire to help smother it. It could be difficult. This made me think that one could put a small access opening into the flue that you could let off a dry chemical extinguisher. I used a big skid unit on a boiler windbox fire one time and it took it out no problem.

Mike

leaddog said:
The best defence is not have one. You say that you have an eko gasification boiler so you should not be making any creosote in your chimney. It is normal to have some in the primary chamber and that won't cause any problem but if you are getting it in the chimney it IS NOT BURNING RIGHT. Go to the sticky thread on adj your eko and get it running right. Make sure you are burning dry wood or somewhat close and have it gasifing and you won't have a chimney fire as there won't be anything to burn. If you have problems post here and we'll try and walk you through it.
leaddog

I figured since there is creosote in the fire box of the exo I figured it would be in the chimney as well. I have left the door open too long so the stanless pipe that connects the eko to the actual chimney got really hot and a little black liquid came out of the joints of the chminey pipe. I assumed that was creosote and that it was always in there. the eko has been awsome for us so far after tightening the door hinges one turn to stop the stink.

About 10 years ago I lived in Barrington NH I am on my way to work at 6 AM I see flames shooting out of a chimney, I pull in and pound on the door and this old guy answers, so I tell him buddy your chimney is on fire big time! This old timer steps out looks up at it and says to me "no worry" it does that time to time it's ok, No kidding this did happen.

All the suggestions to get the fire department involved are right on the mark. Lives are a first priority. If you are running your EKO boiler with storage and getting a clean burn you will not likely have creosote in your chimney. Running your EKO boiler without storage you are prone to produce smoke during idle times. Smoke creates creosote in a chimney. So... prevention is the best medicine. Clean your chimney frequently/periodically so you know the condition of your chimney and never burn wet wood.

On the EKO there are two secondary air adjustments that can be closed to help control or extinguish a chimney fire but they are not quickly closed and some units don't actually line up well with the controls to actually close the secondary air adjustments. The secondary air tubes will feed air into the fire in your boiler even if the boiler is off but in a chimney fire the draft will be so great that any opening that air can get into will feed air into the fire. There are modifications that can be done that will close the secondary air controls quickly. There are also modifications that will close the primary air controls and then there is also the shutter plate on the blower assembly as well. If prepared these actions will reduce available oxygen to a chimney fire. Do the modifications if you really feel pressed to so you can be ready but in the event of a chimney fire have a plan of evacuation first. Then call 911 .

LeonMSPT said:
Can never go wrong calling the fire department in that situation. The guys in cold climates are trained to deal with chimney fires. Choke them to death. If the roof is accessible, or you can get the ladder truck into place, get to the top of the chimney and drop a "goody bag" down there. It's a gallon freezer bag full of dry chemical material. Some have used a high pressure stream up the cleanout, but most don't. The cold water isn't good for the chimney or tile.

Best case, it'll burn itself out and not damage anything. I guess we all know the worst case... I'll, or someone like me, will work up a sweat.

I second what Leon said and also add that a 5 to 10 lb ABC drychem fire extinguisher shot right at the damper opening(along as it is open) will suck the drychem up the chminey then shut everything down. Like Leaddog said pretty slim chance of a chminey fire with a eko unless you fall asleep with the door open and the damper open.

Leon thats a pretty nice old rig, got to love the RED!!!! lines

Rob

Uh oh, oil burner just started.... got to go add wood...

What do you mean "old"? That's our second attack engine, when I was on the department. ;)

As leaddog said, you shouldn't have creosote in the chimney with a properly operating EKO. I bet if you check your chimney you won't find any.

Status
Not open for further replies.