What to do with all the bags - - - ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yulester

Oct 30, 2011
North Central Ohio
So we all get pellets in bags, which isn't a bad thing. Makes them easy to carry, stack well, and keeps some of the mess down.

I use a few as garbage bags, but other than that, what do you do with them. Local recycle folks won't take them so they build up.

So, other than throw them in the garbage, what do you do with them. I'm looking for ideas. Maybe some of you have had some thoughts, or are getting creative, but I know I have a problem - - too many bags !!!

Rinse em Out and stuff the rest inside the first until you can’t stuff anymore. Then take them into Hannaford supermarket up by the bottle/ can recycler machines. They take soft plastic . I’ve been dumping mine off there since the 90s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I use mine for my recycle stuff since they take them here. I save up a ton worth of bags from the winter and it gets me through the summer. Other than that, flatten them out, and you can probably fit 1 ton worth of bags into a large garbage bag and get rid of them that way.

Creative, I've heard of people cutting them into strips and weaving things out of them. Could use them as drop cloths too.

Roll them up, fold once, store a bunch at a time in a single one, use as needed for padding, trash, hauling stuff to dump, even use a few on carport concrete to stack new bags on top of. After I get a bunch ahead, I toss excess in trash.

Great bags for use with old read magazines at spring clean up.

I use them as liners for the bucket I use when I clean the cats' litter boxes. Use as liners for trash cans. Use to cover ground to kill of grass/weeds (in preparation for next year's garden). Stuff full of leaves and other yard detritus to take to the brush pile iat the dump (still have to dispose of bags later. I haven't bought any kind of garbage/storage bag in years.

Yes, I still throw a bunch away - don't have anyone around that recycles them.

So what I can tell, everybody is doing the same thing I am - - except the trash (of which we don't have trash service).

Guess it's time for me to get creative and come up with an alternate use.

So what I can tell, everybody is doing the same thing I am - - except the trash (of which we don't have trash service).

Guess it's time for me to get creative and come up with an alternate use.

Now a local town near here specifically takes these bags at their dump but before that some local people built bins for the bags and got a few local stores to let them set them up in the parking area. Arrangements were made with recycling companies to take them in bulk.

Maybe talk to stores where you get the pellets from re: recycling options?

Anything is better than burning them!

So we all get pellets in bags, which isn't a bad thing. Makes them easy to carry, stack well, and keeps some of the mess down.

I use a few as garbage bags, but other than that, what do you do with them. Local recycle folks won't take them so they build up.

So, other than throw them in the garbage, what do you do with them. I'm looking for ideas. Maybe some of you have had some thoughts, or are getting creative, but I know I have a problem - - too many bags !!!

You’re supposed to take them out of the bags?? Well, that explains a few things.

You’re supposed to take them out of the bags?? Well, that explains a few things.

OK - - Ya got me - - !!
I fold/roll them up and put them in a plastic grocery bag. Then bring them to the plastic recycling bin at the grocery store or Walmart.

Locals won't take anything other than 1's and 2's - - - and sometimes, they still end up in the land fill.

Reactions: bogieb
Reactions: bogieb
I put ferrell cat's in them and drop them off somewhere very far away from me. Nothing worse than ferrell cat piss on your BBQ grill cover.

Only places near me (and I use that term loosely at 20 miles) that accept them are other towns' transfer stations. Since you have to have be a town resident to go there, guess I'm out of luck. Next closest places are Leominster, MA - kind of defeats the purpose to waste all that gasoline for a special trip.

Of course, that is assuming they are #7 bags since I have no clue and that is what popped up to begin with.

Thanks for posting the link though - could help others out.

Only places near me (and I use that term loosely at 20 miles) that accept them are other towns' transfer stations. Since you have to have be a town resident to go there, guess I'm out of luck. Next closest places are Leominster, MA - kind of defeats the purpose to waste all that gasoline for a special trip.

Of course, that is assuming they are #7 bags since I have no clue and that is what popped up to begin with.

Thanks for posting the link though - could help others out.

Well if you want to save them for the once in a while pilgrimage they do store well and take up little space. Just stuff them into one bag and crush them down till it’s nearly full. Then fold the top over and staple it across the top. I’ve been doing that for years and you get around 15 lbs in one single grain bag, 10 in a pellet bag. I prefer grain bags. Me I NEVER make a special trip to the 5 mile away convenience station.
I wish these self serving local governments would do it more like German. The Germans put out easy dump containers all over town in easy to get at places. The ones I see are just sitting there 24/7 They actually TRUST people to sort and stash all on their very own. Here you often get the hairy eyeball from some argumentative nitwit about utter nonsense. If they made it easily available it would be better for everyone and they would get more voluntary participation.

Well if you want to save them for the once in a while pilgrimage they do store well and take up little space. Just stuff them into one bag and crush them down till it’s nearly full. Then fold the top over and staple it across the top. I’ve been doing that for years and you get around 15 lbs in one single grain bag, 10 in a pellet bag. I prefer grain bags. Me I NEVER make a special trip to the 5 mile away convenience station.
I wish these self serving local governments would do it more like German. The Germans put out easy dump containers all over town in easy to get at places. The ones I see are just sitting there 24/7 They actually TRUST people to sort and stash all on their very own. Here you often get the hairy eyeball from some argumentative nitwit about utter nonsense. If they made it easily available it would be better for everyone and they would get more voluntary participation.

I would have to save for years to get enough to warrant a special 120 mile round trip - LOL. I store bags, boy do I store bags - have a big, deep leftover cardboard box just for that purpose. It is amazing the amount of bags that can be stored flat and smooshed in there. When that is full, I roll a bunch together and put into another bag - then smoosh in more until it is bursting. And I use them for everything from cat litter, to trash, to taking leaves to the dump, to ground cover for poison ivy killing.

Home Depot and Lowe's supposed to have a drop off site for your bags no charge

Hu, never seen one around here. Doesn't mean there aren't any drop-offs, just never noticed if there were. I'll have to take a gander next time I am at a BBS.

Just dont chuck em in a river. I was fishin a few years back , thought I had a musky. Just a huge drag after the tug when it hooked. I was waiting for the battle when it broke surface and saw me...... then there it was. An empty green pellet bag fighting to the death. [emoji3061] oh the disappointment [emoji1304]

Did you take it home and gut it, or release it back into the river? :)

I took it proudly home where it was later sent back via Hannaford market as an offering to the plastic god. [emoji847] Somebody had already gutted it n consumed the [emoji849]innards.

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee