What to do with fireplace in kitchen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
As many can probably tell from my other posts, I am doing a lot of remodeling to our home. Our kitchen is included, and it happens to have a fireplace that takes up an entire wall. While it is nice to look at, I am wondering what to do with it? There is no need for a woodstove there because the family room has one, and the floorplan is an open kitchen/dining/family room concept.

So any thoughts on what to do with this fireplace? I am almost inclined to cover it up with kitchen cabinets, etc. because we are somewhat limited on cabinet space. However, it seems like a shame to do away with a fireplace. Any ideas on how to make it useful?

I wondered about that, but I haven't been able to find any information on-line about converting an existing fireplace to a pizza oven. Any tips?

I recall seeing some at the trade show some years back.However it would be a pricey add-on model. There must be some old masonry books around for the do- it -your-self-er. Maybe in the Sunset book series ? Crank up the oven to about 700 degrees and watch the cheese bubble. Yummy!

Yeah, I saw different plans for outdoor pizza ovens. They look pretty nice...

I guess I could always do some regular grilling in the fireplace when temps are too cold to grill outside. I imagine I might need a power vent for this sort of thing though... at least it would make the fireplace more than just something to look at...

Status
Not open for further replies.