What to do with old free standing fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I recently removed my freestanding fireplace and replaced it with a pellet stove. The fireplace now sits in my garage. I was thinking of selling it, but would it really sell? It's really heavy too.

If it is one of those cone shaped things they are going for ten to thirty bucks around here on craigslist.

It's actually this:

inside.jpg

Ah ha! An old Franklin stove. That was the first stove I had in the '70s. You can put an ad on craigslist for it. I wouldn't expect more than fifty bucks for it but lots of people are actually advertising them for from $300 to $500. I don't know if anybody is actually paying that for one. If they are they are nuts.

Dunno about NY, but in Oregon it would actually be illegal to sell that pretty old stove as a stove...once it's been removed from its former service, it cannot be placed back into service in another location, because it's not an EPA approved/listed appliance. Of course, who pays attention to those sorts of rules? If it's just in your way and you want it outta there and you don't care whether or not you get anything for it, you might simply advertise it as a giveaway for scrap. Scrap metal's bringing good $$$ these days, and there are people who make a living picking up stuff & reselling it to the scrappers. Or, someone might come pick it up who intends to use it...but that's not your problem, so long as you advertised it as scrap metal. Good luck! Rick

The back of the stove actually says Atlanta Stove Works, Model 28. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.

It means that it is an old Franklin, leak air like crazy and burn too hot, stove made by a company that went out of business in 1988. The building became a micro brewery about eight years later.

The Franklin stove was made by a lot of companies and sold at Sears and Montgomery Wards and other places in the 1970s. Most have hit the recycle bin a long time ago. I paid $129 dollars for mine in 1977. Delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.