What to use to level hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1914tosa

Nov 4, 2018
Wauwatosa
View attachment 232417
I’ll save you from the long back story and just get right to the point. We decided to remove the old red tile from our hearth and plan on replacing it with clay thin brick pavers. We removed the tiles but still have the old mortar(?) underneath. Since we want the pavers to just slightly above the hardwood, we don’t want to remove the mortar but need to level it out. We are wondering how to proceed. Can we just used a medium bed mortar since we need need about a 1/2”-3/4” thickness to get the right height? Or should we go a different route? Thanks for any help!

Cant see your pic/attachment. This would work especially with the right fortifier.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-60-lb-Sand-Topping-Mix-110360/100318505

QUIKRETE® Sand/Topping Mix, in conjunction with QUIKRETE® Concrete Acrylic Fortifier (No.8610) replacing half of the required water content, is the combination of products that is typically recommend for placement of an overlay over an existing concrete floor.

If some areas are 1/2" below finished height and your tile is 1/2", I don't see how you would be able to get by without removing the old mortar. Unless I'm reading it wrong and the top of the old mortar is ~1" below finished height leaving 1/2" of mortar plus 1/2" of tile.

I’m in the tile business, and would use self leveler for this. It’s a little more expensive than patch products but you will be left with a flat hard surface to tile over.

Cant see your pic/attachment. This would work especially with the right fortifier.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-60-lb-Sand-Topping-Mix-110360/100318505

QUIKRETE® Sand/Topping Mix, in conjunction with QUIKRETE® Concrete Acrylic Fortifier (No.8610) replacing half of the required water content, is the combination of products that is typically recommend for placement of an overlay over an existing concrete floor.
E84C5ED9-08DD-4FA9-A9E2-92204BDAB970.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: