What to use to seal around flue and register plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turnipfarmer

Sep 8, 2014
UK
Hey guys

I can't seem to find the answer on the Internet so thought I'd ask here.

The stuff that was used to seal the gap between flue and register plate has dried out and is crumbling away. I need to reseal it and put some new stuff up.

What do I need to use? Is it fire cement or heat/fire resistant silicone sealant? Or are these the same thing?

I've found silicone sealant which seems the easiest option rated up to 300 degrees Celsius, will that be enough?

Do you have a picture? I'm not sure what is meant by a register plate.

Do you have a picture? I'm not sure what is meant by a register plate.

The metal plate in the top of the stove opening

Attachments

• DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,069
Ah, that would be a block-off plate over here. You can use a good quality furnace cement to fill the gap Silicones are not made for the hot temps that can be seen on the flue surface. Some will smoke quite a bit as they heat up. FWIW, this product claims it will set up like cement.
http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-600-Degree-Silicone-Cartridge-10-3-Ounce/dp/B001GP3AE6
What product were you thinking of trying?
As an alternative you could get some stove door rope gasket (about 20" of 1/2"?) and use it to fill the gap.

Ah, that would be a block-off plate over here. You can use a good quality furnace cement to fill the gap Silicones are not made for the hot temps that can be seen on the flue surface. Some will smoke quite a bit as they heat up. FWIW, this product claims it will set up like cement.
http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-600-Degree-Silicone-Cartridge-10-3-Ounce/dp/B001GP3AE6
What product were you thinking of trying?
As an alternative you could get some stove door rope gasket (about 20" of 1/2"?) and use it to fill the gap.

Apologies for the late reply.

I was going to get this stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VITCAS-Blac...F8&qid=1450774237&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+cement

Will this stuff be OK to use? I presume it is being fire cement. I want to double check before ordering it.

Yes, that looks like it would work.

Not for nothin' but why use anything? Unless I'm missing something doubt it's going to make much difference.

Reactions: claydogg84
Not for nothin' but why use anything? Unless I'm missing something doubt it's going to make much difference.
My cement failed at stove/flue connection and I can hear air being sucked from the room when fire is hot. It's a pain since I got insert and no easy access to it.

My cement failed at stove/flue connection and I can hear air being sucked from the room when fire is hot. It's a pain since I got insert and no easy access to it.
Well that stinks but I don't think that's what's going on here, just the seal around a block off plate. If the plate can be removed I'd insulate on top of it tight to the flue pipe (unless it's done already), otherwise I'd clean up the remaining cement and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.