What type of gas splitter guide beam is best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
I was going to pull the trigger on a black diamond 27 ton tomorrow, but came across some youtube vids that has me scratching my head. I'm really wanting a 4 way wedge option, but just can't seem to find a splitter model for around 1000 bucks that still comes with that option . I know yardmax had one, but discontinued it. All I can find is aftermarket ones that I'm not sure even fit correctly and have low ratings. I think maybe the tsc tractor model has one, but they don't ship. Anyways, I was wondering about the two different designs as far as how the wedge is connected to the beam. The black diamond has its wedge run inside of the beam in tracks. I've heard of these getting bent or the metal worn out quickly while using a 4 way wedge. I guess if the wedge side wings are not straight like an airplane wing and you hit a knot, it can cause it to start splitting upward or downward depending on its angle. This makes it get pushed up as the ram is pushing. Now maybe I understand why manufacturers have stopped having 4 ways as an optional purchase. Knowing this, and still wanting a 4 way wedge I'm wondering if the other design with the wedge running on top of the beam and connected with a C clamp with hard plastic and bolts to simply change out the plastic when it gets worn out. Yardmax beam is like that. What do you guys think?