What type of Maple ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I think this is Red Maple but I may be full of beans also. I had to drag it out to get to some Locust. Some assistance from those more knowledgeable than I would be appreciated.

Sorry my communication device had terrible signal tonight. Apparently the pics didn’t go thru with the original post.

Attachments

• What type of Maple ???
    EB69A6E7-E016-4242-A399-7FC5862ADE62.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 276
  • What type of Maple ???
    CB794C5D-9787-4992-ADD7-1A7C05BF8429.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 278
It looks more like cherry from what the bark tells me.
That was my initial thoughts but my neighbor who has burned wood for 40 years thought it was some type of Maple. Most of the trees with similar bark die out around the 6-8” diameter.

That was my initial thoughts but my neighbor who has burned wood for 40 years thought it was some type of Maple. Most of the trees with similar bark die out around the 6-8” diameter.
Do you ever see any of the stuff called black knot on it? It’s a fungus common on cherry and I’ve never seen it on anything but cherry up here.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I will just keep raiding that brush pile then, it’s chuck full of locust & cherry. That one was the biggest cherry. Our excavator operator got a lot of the trees cleared out before I talked to him about laying some out for me to cut up for firewood.

This was this afternoons haul out of the brush pile. The pile to the right has a bunch of mulberry & cherry in it also.

Attachments

• What type of Maple ???
    F87F6297-F3AC-4B91-8A4C-2D31C252F344.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: WiscWoody
Do you ever see any of the stuff called black knot on it? It’s a fungus common on cherry and I’ve never seen it on anything but cherry up here.
I don’t believe I have ever seen anything like that around here but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Cherry makes excellent firewood

100% sure that's cherry. That scrounge has cherry, mulberry and locust?! Some guys have all the luck. :)

Yep Cherry Maple, haha. Great wood, your neighbors will love you when you put a fresh load of that in.

Yep Cherry Maple, haha. Great wood, your neighbors will love you when you put a fresh load of that in.
That’s why I inquired with the folks on hear, I thought from what I had seen on the old inter-web that the bark looked like cherry but I’m not afraid to ask to some what would appear to be a silly question, just don’t tell my wife. ::P;) . My closet neighbor is about a mile away & he probably wouldn’t be able to smell it over the horse & cow manure. Lol. Apparently I have a 7500 head hog unit going in just east of me so maybe it will serve as an air freshener next winter.

Cherry is my guess, though a little light in color. Does not look like any red maple I've ever seen. Or silver maple.

1000% Cherry