What type of tile adhesive to use around wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnichols822

Aug 29, 2008
Central New York
I've been getting the feeling that I will need to avoid certain types of adhesives around my woodstove due to the heat. I am laying down porcelain tiles so I need a good adhesive (so they tell me). What kind of adhesive are both safe and effective around a woodstove? Thanks.

I would use a latex modified thin-set. Brands like Tec superflex or Dap durabond D-50 or any other latex modified thinset you can find in your area.

Thinset is what you want, don't use any adhesive glue. For lots of tiling info and help check out the John Bridge tiling forums and website.

http://www.johnbridge.com/

Don't listen to these guys...what you want is latex-modified thinset mortar. Rick

EDIT: Back in the day, you bought a bag or box of mortar (powder), and a plastic jug of "milk" (latex modifier), and used the milk instead of water to mix the mud. Nowadays, the modifer's generally already mixed with the dry powder and you just use water. You can even buy premixed modified thinset in tubs, ready to use. I've done it all those ways, and I gotta tell ya, the pre-mixed ready to use stuff is damned convenient, especially for a relatively small job, if a bit more expensive...and it seemed to work just fine for me. If you buy it dry, pay strict attention to the mixing directions...weigh the powder and measure the water...get it perfectly free of lumps (paint mixer in a cordless drill works good), let it slake the prescribed time, and mix again, then spread it with a trowel with serrations or teeth appropriately sized to the tiles you're setting. Use spacers. Have a bucket of water, a small putty knife, a sponge and a rag handy...you don't want that mortar squishing out and filling up the grout lines to where the grout isn't gonna cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.