What was my paint scraper originally made to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
It has an acid etch saying WWR Scientific. They appear to sell lab equipment now. It was my Grandfather’s, he was a tool and die maker of that helps narrow it down. The blade is spring steel and the etch says it’s stainless. The thin steel makes it a wonderful paint scraper, but I doubt that’s what it was made to do. It’ll pop a paint chip off like nobody’s business!

E7ABEBDE-EFC2-4564-A808-B3F359109274.jpeg7C0C4B2D-39E0-48AA-8A5B-98BD362127D5.jpeg33396B32-84E9-4D8B-B52B-66715D1BA061.jpeg

Over the years that type of knife has had many uses the two that come to mind are
a cake knife used to spread cake icing. The other painters (artists) use them as a pallet knife
just off the top of my head

Yeah palette knife for painters, but those usually have a bend in them.
And those would be way to soft/flexible to be a good paint scraper.

Last edited:
Google image search with your image (it automatically selected the tool itself rather than your hand):

It lists kitchen (butter)/spatula purposes, joint tooling knife, dentist/medial spatula, hairline waxing ;p etc.
In case it works, here's the link from which I took the screenshot below (it would allow you to scroll down in the list on the right side):
1714264151768.png

Reactions: semipro
Maybe it's a stirrer for lab fluids.

Looks like a laboratory spatula. I remember using a tool like that for measuring out dry ingredients in chemistry class.

Here's mine. Frosting/icing spreader. Really a dry chemical spatula, as mentioned.

I was a Yale chemistry grad student 40 years ago. The two chemistry buildings are next to Kline Biology Tower (KBT). A friend had to go to the KBT stockroom to get something ours didn't carry. Went with him. KBT had a cafeteria on the top floor where I could get a coffee.

There was box of these on the stockroom counter labeled "free." I picked up a couple and handed one to Bruce. "What do I want this for?" I replied, "it's a frosting spreader."

20240429_073409 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
I use things like that to smooth out caulk on duct work and architectural sheetmetal. Works great

This is pretty funny. I mentioned my friend Bruce from grad school.

He was in his lab at J&J (Johnson & Johnson) in NJ in the 1990s. A colleague walked by his lab, backed up, and looked in, "you know. You look just like Salman Rushdie."

Bruce thought, "great. Of all the people to look like, I have to look like someone half the world is trying to find and kill." :)

My wife and I moved to MA in 2003. Bruce came up to visit us in June 2004. Picture from Salem, MA. Damn, I need to get back to that weight.

IMG_0064 - Copy.JPG