What would cuase this orange soot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D4v3

Dec 9, 2020
Canada
Hi everyone,

We just purchased this used fireplace to replace an ancient one we had. It was dark when we picked itu p so we didin't get a great look but after getting it home there is an orange rusty looking soot covering the inside. The soot wiped off without any issues but before we go to all the trouble of modifing the mantle to get this installed we wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with it. Apart from the soot the unit looks to be in very good shape, nothing wrong with the logs except one of the numbs broke off but I don't think that's a problem.

Also, if you look on the left hand side there's what almost looks like a scrape, after cleaning the soot off there's actually bit of paint missing where you can see the metal. I can't image what could have possibly scraped it so it must be caused by something else.

The fireplace is a Majestic 36BDVRRN, we were told it's about 11 years old but I suspect it might be older.

If anyone has any thoughts we would really appreciate it.

20201208_155150_HDR.jpg

Hi everyone,

We just purchased this used fireplace to replace an ancient one we had. It was dark when we picked itu p so we didin't get a great look but after getting it home there is an orange rusty looking soot covering the inside. The soot wiped off without any issues but before we go to all the trouble of modifing the mantle to get this installed we wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with it. Apart from the soot the unit looks to be in very good shape, nothing wrong with the logs except one of the numbs broke off but I don't think that's a problem.

Also, if you look on the left hand side there's what almost looks like a scrape, after cleaning the soot off there's actually bit of paint missing where you can see the metal. I can't image what could have possibly scraped it so it must be caused by something else.

The fireplace is a Majestic 36BDVRRN, we were told it's about 11 years old but I suspect it might be older.

If anyone has any thoughts we would really appreciate it.

View attachment 268887
Oh no. I think it's the dreaded iron oxide! I'm not sure,but I think it causes cancer, dementia, and diarrhea, among other ailments. I'd avoid touching it, looking at it, or even thinking about it!

Oh no. I think it's the dreaded iron oxide! I'm not sure,but I think it causes cancer, dementia, and diarrhea, among other ailments. I'd avoid touching it, looking at it, or even thinking about it!

Haha yes, very funny. Not knowing much about these things I thought it might be a sign of an underlying issue that should be corrected. Usually easier to fix things before you install them.

I was serious when I said it's rust, even though I tried to be funny about it. Looks like emissions from the burning caused an oxidation reaction with the steel.

But the steel is painted and it wiped right off. To me it seems that the soot itself would have had to contain the rust.

But the steel is painted and it wiped right off. To me it seems that the soot itself would have had to contain the rust.
If it's not rust, which I think it was, I have no idea. I'd be concerned with orange soot if it isn't rust. I don't think the fact that it wiped off the finish rules out rust, but I could certainly be wrong!

If it's not rust, which I think it was, I have no idea. I'd be concerned with orange soot if it isn't rust. I don't think the fact that it wiped off the finish rules out rust, but I could certainly be wrong!

My first thought is rust as well but it's not from the metal walls of the fireplace, they paint is intact and the soot just wiped off. I feel like the walls would have to rust themselves which they haven't so the rust was deposited there as opposed to being produced there.

Can there be rust contamination in gas lines? I know iron was used for gas lines, could that cause this? I think it came out of a newer house so the gas lines should have all been copper but perhaps somewhere down the line?

Is it a propane insert? I think the burner fuel ratio is off.