What would fit here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2fireplacesinSC

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2015
mid South Carolina
I'm trying to figure out what type of wood stove or insert to put here.

Fireplace is 36" wide, 27.75" high at the front
Depth is 22" at floor, 18.5" at top
Trim is 7.25" from the side and top (the black trim around the fireplace is stone, this is to the white trim)
Mantel bottom is 50.75" from floor and is 9.5" deep
The stone in front of the fireplace is 17" deep and 88" wide and is slightly raised above hard wood floor

I do not want to make any changes to the fireplace or floor, but would like to put a wood stove or insert into the fireplace to make it usable. I'm already getting a Jotul F3B for the other fireplace (wanted an F400 but chimney sweep and stove shop strongly pushed me towards the F3 due to size room it's in and climate of SC)- it'll be installed in just a few days.

I am having trouble finding something that fits the clearances in particular.

This is in the middle of a 4200 square foot house (not counting 1300+sq foot basement), but my plan is to use as supplemental heat. Main floor is ~2400 sq feet and top floor is ~1800 sq feet. It's very well insulated for a mid 1980's home. Currently I have electric heat pump's as climate control. This fireplace is open to the main floor of the home and is near stairs leading up to the bedrooms.

Thanks.

IMG_4630.JPGIMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4632.JPGFullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Very little will fit there with those requirements. Since you don't want to extend the hearth and the lintel is pretty low a freestanding, rear-vented stove is essentially out. That leaves you with an insert. However, it needs to be a flush mount due to the shallow hearth but even then you most likely will need to extend the hearth to get to 16" front clearance from the door. The other problem are the close clearances to the side trim. I am giving you some units to look at but you will need to check carefully whether they would fit into the firebox and give you enough clearance to trim and mantel:

Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 and 2.5, Regency CI1200 and CI2600, Morso 5660, Jotul C350. I think Lopi Declaration, Osburn Matrix, and Quadrafire Voyageur are all out due to trim clearances but you can check to make sure my memory serves me right.

You would certainly need to extend the hearth with the Princess but after taking a look a the manual I think you are good with everything else. You need 7" clearance to the side trim and 22" to the mantel. The surround is 43" wide and a bit less than 29" high so it should just cover the black stone but not touch the trim. You will find clearances and dimensions in the manual and brochure here: http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-princess-insert.html Have your sweep take a look at it when he is doing also this installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.