What would you do first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vtwoodheater

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2015
central VT
Given the choice between having spray foam installed in your attic space to better the insulated home envelope, or installing radiant floor heating on the first floor to utilize lower water temps for heating, which would you choose?

Both projects are going to end up costing the same, and I can only do one this next summer. The second project would be done eventually, but maybe not for another 2 years or so.

The house is built to circa 2000 model year standards.

I kind of have a good idea of what I am leaning towards, but wanted to see some other opinions.

Spray foam is normally used where someone wants a high R value where there is limited space for insulation. In most attics there is adequate space to install a lower priced alternative such as cellulose fiber. I have 20 inches in my attic. Depending on how tight the rest of your house is, cellulose could be better because it will allow moisture to escape through it better than foam. My house has been tightened up to the extent that I'm on the verge of needing an air exchanger. Before blowing in the cellulose I tore out the vapor barrier on the original blanket insulation. It's allowed me to put off installing the air exchanger but I need to be very careful about creating too much moisture in the house.

The spray foam would just be applied as a skim coat for air sealing. Not looking for high R value, 1.5-2" at most. R-60 worth of cellulose would be installed on top.

I really wish panel type radiators weren't ridiculously overpriced. I wonder if you could make your own?

If my other half didn't think cast iron radiators were "ugly", they would have been installed originally when I built the house. (I still want to put them in)

Redundancy, belt and suspenders.

Have you looked at different brands of panel radiators? I wonder if there is much of a price difference between them? When I did my installation I thought about putting them in, but like you thought the cost was a bit much. I'm voting for the insulation, and your saving for panel rads later. The insulation will give you savings to help offset the cost of rads later on. The lower operating temps from underfloor radiant heating will lend itself to convenience, longer times between burns, but not savings.

Mike

Last edited:
I would do the spray foam with cellulose on top.
the insulation will pay itself back over time.
With more/better insulation you can reduce the amount of heat you need to keep the place cozy.

Reactions: StihlKicking
What would you spray the foam on to? Are you saying there is no insulation there now?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

When we insulated our attic, we tore all the fiberglass batts out. Used canned foam around all the recessed lights/and other protrusions. Then we blew in 18" of cellulose insulation. The walls downstairs are spray foamed w/3" closed cell foam. we are happy with the result. This was a renovation of an 1834 ranch style farm house.

Our home was built around the sealing abilities of spray foam. The spray foam was applied to the back of the ceiling drywall and over the bottom of the roof trusses. The thickness of the foam is 2" to ensure the proper air and vapor sealing require by the building code here. The rest of the R60 was achieved with cellulose.