What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emre

Jan 10, 2018
Massachusetts
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I need opinions on what makes the most sense for our situation.

We live in a 1950s cape that is not well insulated. The house is 1500 sq/ft total over 2 floors. The house itself is very drafty and we have a fireplace that has a damper that doesn’t close all the way. We have oil for heating and no natural gas available. We had a top of the line gas boiler installed last year (87% efficiency when the installer tested it). The last couple of weeks made me realize that I need to spend some time this summer to start caulking and insulating all the little gaps and holes. My question to this forum has to do with what I should do with the fireplace.

The fireplace is 38x28 masonry. It is in our living room that is 14x14. We do not have an open floor plan. When we burn the fireplace we can actually get the living room nice and toasty. Last Sunday morning when it was -4 outside, our living room was 66 and we were able to get it up to 75 or so supplementing our oil boiler with a fire in the fireplace. We don’t burn a lot of wood but plan on getting a cord this spring to start and use the fireplace more. This would mostly be for ambiance and some heat.

The damper for the fireplace will need to be fixed one way or another and we need to install glass doors. I see 2 options:

Option 1: Get a top of the flue damper and glass doors. This will help with the draft of the fireplace. We would still use the fireplace and burn the cord of wood we would get. I realize that fireplaces are extremely inefficient but for how much we would use it I don’t think this is a big deal.

Option 2: Get a small flush insert for the fireplace. I realize that flush inserts are not as effective as inserts that stick out but we have a small room as it is and I am not willing to use up any more real estate for a stove.

Option 1 is cheaper. It might or might not solve our drafty fireplace issue. It allows us to test to see if burning wood is something we are cut to do.

Option 2 is significantly more expensive but is sure to address the drafty fireplace issue. It gives us a second heat source and would allow us to use less oil. If we decide that we don’t like hearing with wood, this is a few thousand dollars we essentialism wasted.

What do you guys think? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Picture of fireplace:
dcf7944f3c570577565b04dde046482d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the insert. Big selling point when the time comes for you to move to another home...
You won't have to repair the damper. You will have an insulation barrier at the damper area &
the chimney top, if your installer knows his stuff...
I disagree with your statement about the flush insert yielding less heat. With proper installation,
most of the heat generated by burning wood can't go ANYWHERE but into your living space,
so the difference between a flush install or extended onto the hearth really is minimal.

If you decide to go the fireplace doors route, in order to burn them in the closed position, you
will need to have pyroceram instead of tempered glass & that cost is gonna end up being a
good portion of the insert price (without installation)...

I agree. Get an insert. You will be surprised how much you use it once you get it. It will look good and provide more heat than you think. If you are gonna fuss with wood, you might as well get as much out of it as you can. I believe it adds some value as well......

To fit an insert clearances to the trim and mantel would have to be checked. And a stainless liner installed in the chimney. Just for fun here's what one might look like.

fireplace.jpg

That is a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6. There are flush inserts in other styles that may fit in there too.