What would you pay to make your home safer? Is $41 too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Currently I am petitioning the state to incorperate automatic shutoff of HVAC systems upon smoke alarm detection.
Theer are Duct mount Smoke detectors that cost about $115. Really no excuse for not requiring them in the residentail codes.
We all know ducts transmission can lead to rapid spread of smoke to other areas of the home.

But what about Firestat/ Limit Controls which detects heat or the pressence of a fire condition and shuts it down . Pre ste to 165 degrees the system shuts down Cost only $41

Link to it

http://www.grainger.com/production/info/granger-industrial-supply.htm

Middle top of the page search click on Granger part Number just bwlow it type in this part # 4pu54

for forced hot air hydro air and air conditioning i think it's a grate idea for hydroponics you should have it but not a requirement
only in hrv's and air handing applications

thanks
Jason

Don't get me wrong, many of these new gadgets can be handy and once in a while they even save someone from themselves or the stupidity of others. Problems start when Feds, State, Local govts start getting involved. The result is something of a "cluster%$&^%^" as my drill sergant used to say. The problem is where does it all stop. Inevitably it results in someone either intermittantly or routinely picking ones pocket with installation and inspections. I prefer to take care of myself thanks. A few $5 smoke detectors and a $20 CO detector should be more than adequate.
When they put my house up in 95 it came with one of those wonderful wired together smoke alarm systems. You know the kind that one will set them all off. It wasn't 6 months until I had the damned thing unwired due to phantom alarms, usually in the middle of the night. Never had another problem again using the elcheapo stand alone alarms. The last thing I would want is another electrical auto gizmo to shut down my heat. As the DI used to say KISS, keep it simple stupid.

This is an inexpensive way to add a margine of safety it is hoped that the manufactures include such a divice installed on the unit.
This is not new code. The evidence of duct work spreading smoke is well documented Comercial codes require either automatic shut down upon smoke detection or shutting down smoke damoers Again the motive is containment, buys time for safe escape. Iam just trying to point out that automatic shut down is not all that expensive. The other motive for this is the introduction of more wood burning appliances in homes. Many posters here are trying to use their return ducts to transmit heat from their wood stove. This would add an ellement of safety. Its so simple I am amazed codes did not address this years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.