What's Best: Combi boiler or separate boilers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4barrel

Feb 15, 2013
I'm getting estimates for switching over to natural gas. I have had 3 plumbers recommend 3 different types of setups. First is a combi boiler, second is a condensing boiler with a condensing gas water heater, third is a cast iron boiler with a conventional gas hot water heater. My house is 1500 sq.ft, one bathroom, r-45 in the attic, energy star rated windows, no wall insulation, built i believe in the 1930's. My oil fired burner gives us endless hot water, only have to wait a few seconds to get it as well. I would like to continue that kind of performance. I have been reading on the internet combi boilers can be very troublesome, where the cast iron boilers last forever. Any experienced plumbers around? Which makes of boilers are the most reliable.

4barrel I'm in the same boat combi boiler looks great but some guys say big problems can't wait to hear some replies

Why do you say a combi looks good. I have read that hot water can take a long time to reach the faucets, and they can suffer from low water pressure at the faucet when it is really cold out.

Why do you say a combi looks good. I have read that hot water can take a long time to reach the faucets, and they can suffer from low water pressure at the faucet when it is really cold out.
one box, lots of hot water,

I would be looking at the mineral content of your water supply. Around here it is very high so those condensing units tend to plug up fast vs/ a traditional boiler for heat( steam or hot water) and a separate hot water heater again a traditional tank design.

Not plumber (an E1) but I install boilers for family.

I put in the Weil McLain Ultra gas condensing boiler and Gold Plus indirect tank for my brother. That's the only way I would go, gas condensing boiler and indirect tank for DHW. I could go into the advantages but what will probably happen is that choice could add $1000 to your bids. Money well spent.

If you want the three bidders bidding apples to apples, that's what I would do.

When you say "combi" are you referring to the wall hungs with the integral hot water heat exchanger attached?

If so look closely at the specs on it for GPM flow at list temperature rise? Some will list the flow rate at only 70-80* rise while others will show @100* , which is as it should be.

Personally, I don't like them in applications where you may have more than a single hot water draw going on at the same time. Temp starts to fall off and they can be pretty restrictive as far a total flow available.

With wall hungs in a residential application we always recommend installing an indirect tank. As far as getting hot water to you faucets is concerned, that's more a function of your plumbing rather than whatever is making your hot water. Install a hot water recirc if you must have instant hot water but they do waste a significant amount of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.