Whats easier to clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbjr

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
south jersey
Hi. Can anyone tell me between the Lopi set up and PE, which is easier when it comes to cleaning the flue.

Because the secondary manifold is built into the stainless baffle, it's hard to beat the PE for ease of cleaning. Pull the pin, drop the baffle, cover the secondary air supply and go for it.

PE super easy to clean.

We were done in less than 1/2 an hour.

**Important note"* That space in the back of a PE, where you think there is a fire brick issue is not. That's the air supply for the baffle to connect to. Learned this. Just sharing.

thanks for the input. I'm just trying to get all the info I can to make my decision. And cleaning is definately a big part. I was also wondering how easy the flat top pe's( like the classics) are to cook on. I at first thought I wanted a step top for this reason. I wouldn't be cooking on it all the time but definately sometimes. The alderlea seems like the best of both worlds but that may not be in the budget and i'm not sure how hard the cast would be to keep clean.

Lopi - open the bypass damper, sweep flue into stove (top down, or bottom up), clean everything up the way you have to in any case, light a fire. Rick

Good point Fossil.I like your picture of the Fiskars. I just ordered one from Amazon ten minutes ago. The Lopi liberty is one of the ones I am considering.

Love the bypass damper on my Endeavor. Open and sweep. If you go with a Lopi, make sure to get one with the bypass damper. I know the Liberty and Endeavor have this feature.

just make sure you remove the front baffle bricks and get the stuff that does not fall thru... Lopi is a easy sweep, but PE easier....

Sounds like people are very loyal to their stoves. Awsome. I appreciate the input. I want to get my stove in NOW, but unfortunately I have to wait for next season so I should have plenty of time to do it right. Looks like I have to put up a barn now too. My "garage in a box" blew away last night. Oh well, that will give me a good place for a wood shed.

jersey boy said:
Sounds like people are very loyal to their stoves. Awsome. I appreciate the input. I want to get my stove in NOW, but unfortunately I have to wait for next season so I should have plenty of time to do it right. Looks like I have to put up a barn now too. My "garage in a box" blew away last night. Oh well, that will give me a good place for a wood shed.

If you haven't already, get you a nice supply of wood cut/split/stacked ASAP. Today's stoves require seasoned wood to operate efficiently and correctly. Most people get the stove before the wood, but it works almost 100% better to get your fuel supply first with an EPA stove. ;-)

Thanks for the advice. I have about two cord split and stacked and hope to have about five by spring. I also have some stuff thats been laying for a while which I'll get ready for earlier in the season. I'm waiting for my fiskars to get here to start splittin again.

jersey boy said:
Thanks for the advice. I have about two cord split and stacked and hope to have about five by spring. I also have some stuff thats been laying for a while which I'll get ready for earlier in the season. I'm waiting for my fiskars to get here to start splittin again.

That's a darned fine tool. You won't regret getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.