Whats everyone using for an Ash vacuum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe.G

Jan 21, 2018
NY
Iam looking for a new ash Vacuum, I have 2 Power smiths and they just don't seem to have a lot of suction power and what ever power it does have falls off fast once you start using it, I am lucky if I get one cleaning out of it before it is full. I was wondering what others are using. This is for a pellet stove. Thanks

I use this one for my pellet stoves...About $150...

1588860220106.png

I use a dust deputy. Works great. Maybe a light sprinkle of ash in the shopvac, the rest is in the dust deputy bucket.

For most homeowner needs any shop vac with a filter bag put in it will work fine.

I second bholler. I use a shovel for the big stuff and follow up with a standard shop vac. Works fine. I never heard of a dust deputy. Got a link to your model, Isaac?

I just have a plastic one foe a 5 gallon pail. I want to make a copy on steel and put it on a 55 gal drum

As mentioned, I use a fine dust filter on my garage shop vacuum. The Rigid one lists (gets it from garage): drywall dust, cement dust, cold ashes, and fine powders.

Next up is a HEPA filter: pet dander, pollens, allergens, dust mites, and mold spores.

I also bought the muffler that goes on the vacuum outlet to make it quieter in the house.

Figured I'd Update this thread, So I took the vacuum apart and cleaned it very well, I replaced all of the filters and still had no suction. I had purchased a replacment hose a couple years ago as mine was getting rough. I could see though the hose and it appeared fine but once I put the new hose on the vacuum it now has the power I would expect from a vacuum. Glad I did as I was about to by a different brand. I guess the slight waviness of the hose was enough to cause a lack of flow.