What's in your chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like a southern black racer. They are long and fast. Funny story about black racers. My sister used to catch almost every living critter in our NY neighborhood. One time she caught a black racer but didn't want our mother to know because mom was deathly afraid of snakes. My sister kept it in the basement, but it escaped and she couldn't find it. Well, the basement was also where the washer and dryer were located and dryers are nice and warm on top. My mom came down with a basket load of dirty clothes and as she approached the washer/dryer she came eyeball to eyeball with a 5ft black racer. The clothes went airborne and my mother let out a blood curdling scream as she made it to the stairs in record time. We heard about that one for a long time.

My sister sister was sent down to the basement and told don't come up until the snake was caught and returned to the wild. Within 6 months dad moved the kitchen wall and took part of the garage to make a new laundry nook.

Last edited:
So what would you do if you came down for coffee in the morning and saw this?

29541322_1757802920965144_4334175452475833013_n.jpg

that right there is just one of the many reasons i live here in the cold frozen northeast, i don't really have to worry about snakes, gators, spiders, termites, hurricanes, we just deal with cold that starts in October and goes through till May. But where else can you have poverty with such a view.
Hopkins-Mt-fall-2012-1st-snowfall-High-Peaks-2min_900px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slocum
Beautiful scene, I love the Berkshires and the Catskills. That said, there are plenty of snakes in NY including eastern diamondbacks,

Last edited:
thats a shot of the high peaks in the adirondacks, we're far enough north (about 2 hours drive from montreal) that about the only snakes i've seen is a garden snake they only bother the mice so i leave them be.

That said, there are plenty of snakes in NY including eastern diamondbacks,
The diamond backs stop in W Virginia / North Carolina - Thankfully, we do have copperheads (very few and far between) and Timber rattlesnakes - even fewer. The two area's to watch out for both are eastern facing peaks for dens due to warm morning sun and under tarps due to heat from said sun.

Ah, that would be timber rattler territory then.
The diamond backs stop in W Virginia / North Carolina - Thankfully, we do have copperheads (very few and far between) and Timber rattlesnakes - even fewer. The two area's to watch out for both are eastern facing peaks for dens due to warm morning sun and under tarps due to heat from said sun.
Yes, That's right. It was timber rattlers. We had them in the Berkshires. There are a few places there even named rattlesnake ridge and I think there is a rattlesnake mountain in CT too. A friend came across one while doing grounds work at Lime Rock Racetrack.

http://berkshirehiking.com/hikes/hangglider.html

Just garden snakes up this way . . . nothing particularly scary or nasty . . . at least when it comes to snakes.