Whats living in your stacks ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reviving this thread as I found two opossums in my wood stack. I was breaking into a new one and me pulling wood out of there did not bother them one bit. I only discovered them when I pulled the tarp off the top.

I've left the tarp off as of now, does anyone know if they will vacate the premises by themselves? I'm not scared of them or anything, but would still like to avoid close contact, for various reasons. So they will have to go, one way or another.

Right now they are perched on top of the stack out in the open. The ultima ratio would be to go get my 10/22, but maybe there's a more peaceful way to get them to leave...

Squirrels, chipmunks I eliminate. Until recently I also eliminated Opossums, until I became more educated. If you have chickens they are bad, otherwise they eat a ton of ticks, so now they get a pass. They don't bother me and I let them live, and chomp away at the ticks. Weasels also eat a lot of vermin like mice and rats, so they also get a pass.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I ran into a mouse condo in a year old stack of ash I was moving. This stack was kind of in the woods but it was teeming. I counted 10 of them. Thankfully it was pretty far from the house!

My dog could probably get all 10 in his mouth at once if he could catch them lol.

I found a couple 12’+ long snake skins right at the beginning of this burning season. Likely just a harmless black snakes. I’m not much of a fan of snakes though.

Until recently I also eliminated Opossums, until I became more educated. If you have chickens they are bad, otherwise they eat a ton of ticks, so now they get a pass. They don't bother me and I let them live, and chomp away at the ticks.
No chickens, and when I checked again this afternoon they were gone. Probably moved one stack further into the next silo, but oh well. If they really eat ticks, they're welcome.

Squirrels . . . probably mice . . . maybe a feral cat under the woodshed. I have a live and let live philosophy though . . . indoor cats seem to be enamored by the smells on the wood when I bring it inside. When I find a nest I just dispose of it. No harm, no foul.

No chickens, and when I checked again this afternoon they were gone. Probably moved one stack further into the next silo, but oh well. If they really eat ticks, they're welcome.
We get the occasional possum, coon, skunk or fox in the barn after the hayburners sweet feed and the cat food. When our daughter was about 5 a coon came into the back yard in the middle of the day. It didn't look good and my wife and the dogs couldn't get it to leave.
She kilt it with a shovel.
I can send her down if you need help.

Your 5-year old daughter killed a racoon with a shovel? Wow.

Spiders, and many, many acorn hulls. As in buckets. Not sure if that's mice or squirrel. These stacks are on 2*4s on cinder blocks on my driveway, tarped. And under an oak tree...

I get a lot of chipmunks in my stacks. It doesn't help I have a squirrel feeder 10ft from my stacks that is full of corn. I also get a lot of wood rats and mice which I despise as the scourge of the earth and have devoted all my resources to wage a genocide on them lol. I find a lot of bird nests as well but I don't mind them. I figure they help with any bugs living amongst my wood piles.

i get a lot of mice and chipmunks but two cats i have get at least 1 or 2 a day when the weather does not have snow flying. i always thought that garter snakes were at max 3 to 4 feet long in the wood stacks i found a 6 foot skin